Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Alabama destruction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/alabama-destruction-t119591.html)

reginalovesfabric 04-30-2011 03:15 PM

I went 30 days without lights after Katrina, 40 days for cable and 30 days for the phone. Lucky I am on community water and we had water Wed after she hit on Monday.

I don't EVER want to experience that again. My heart goes out to everyone. A small town in north Mississippi is gone, 900 people and 15 of them died. I want to start making dresses for the little girls, quilts later.

This is so sad.

Grandma Peg 04-30-2011 04:37 PM

What a horrible thing to happen especially so many deaths. My thoughts and prayers go to everyone. Let's hope this is it for the rest of the season.

Alondra 04-30-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
Am praying, without ceasing, for all the families that have suffered such devestating loss during the storms/tornados.

Ditto. It's overwhelming just to look at the devastation the people in Alabama and Mississippi have been through - how much more to have experienced it in person. I live in an area prone to hurricanes and tornados, so I know the destruction they can do. Our prayers are with you, and I'm sure there will be teams leaving Texas immediately to help restore your power. God bless in this time of sorrow.

serenitybygrace 04-30-2011 05:15 PM

I have been praying for everyone in the hard hit areas since I heard what happened. I am so sorry for everyone who has had to go through all the loss. I continue to pray that all the people who need to feel God's love and comfort will feel it and be able to receive it.

Sandra in Minnesota 04-30-2011 05:32 PM

Hugs and prayers for everyone around the world who have had storms, tornadoes, earthquakes, fires, etc. We are living in some difficult times.

Rntraveler 04-30-2011 05:40 PM

"The northern part of Alabama has been without electricity until a couple of hours ago due to 2 towers being torn down from the power plant. I awoke a little while ago to the realization that we had lights again!"

I am in the Harvest area (North Alabama) and we are still without power and might not have any for days yet. We are fine... our home suffered no damage..looking around the community it looks much like it did when we had 4 hurricanes go through Central florida back in 2004...we can put up with no power ... many lost all belongings..everything.

250 is the latest count on fatalities and will probably climb...

Rntraveler 04-30-2011 05:43 PM

If you can send a text message do that as we are able to send out a text and receive them but can't make calls on the cell yet. The home phone is working.. I am in Harvest and we probably won't have power for a few days... we do have a generator from our hurricane days in Fl so we are very lucky..

Naturalmama 04-30-2011 06:03 PM

It's so hard to comprehend how devastating something like this would be - it's one thing just to lose your house, but when your whole community is wiped out....

Lisanne 04-30-2011 07:05 PM

What on Earth!??

I haven't been watching TV, so all I know is what I see online or read in the paper or hear from people. I'd heard southern Alabama had been hit by a tornado - but other places are hit by tornadoes, and it's only a small area that's damaged, and even a few deaths always seem surprising.

But now this sounds like multiple tornadoes, all over the state and in MS, too, and huge amounts of death and destruction.

I can't comprehend it.

How many tornadoes have there been? And why are the areas that were destroyed so much larger?

"Best wishes for a speedy recovery" just doesn't seem to cut it, but I can't express it better.

skydiver70 04-30-2011 07:34 PM

On Facebook: Pictures and Documents found after the April 27, 2011 Tornadoes

You can see over 1000 documents, photos, even a quilt, toys found in other states from Alabama and different places.

I found a picture of a baby shower with part of the photo missing in my late Mom's yard. It was developed in August 2005.

Also, today, I found part of two pages from a yearbook with photos . I posted all them on Facebook at the above site.