Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any other Mayflower Descendants out there? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-other-mayflower-descendants-out-there-t67748.html)

DebraK 10-01-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
No Mayflowers here, all my ancestors were born here. :)

lol, do you have the papers that say so? Pedigree is everything, you know ;-)

oksewglad 10-01-2010 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Melody
ohhh! one of favorite pastimes is genealogy. :mrgreen: I've spent approx. 40 years in researching all of our families, and with some luck, I've found quite a few other living descendants from the same tree. My husband is 12th generation male descendant of Elder Wm Brewster. We occasionally make a pilgrimage back to his ancestors home town in northern Vermont. It's sooo beautiful there!

We have a lot of very old family photos and I've scrapbooked copies of the photos with family stories and the family tree. I give them away to distant family and we've made some wonderful "new" friends in other states that are from the same "branch".

This is a subject dear to my heart.... I had better stop or I will bore all of you tears!! ;-)

My BIL is a descendent of Wm and Sarah Brewster, too.

As for me, well I'm peasant stock of a bunch late 19th and early 20th century Germans and Swedes. I've been working on DH's. My DH has CWar, RWar, and 17th century Dutch and I think Mayflower (not proven yet) roots. What fascinates me about genealogy is how it brings history closer to you. My DH's ancesters Rebecca and Norman lived through the summer of 1815, the year there was no summer. The extreme hardships they endured in New England because of a volcanic eruption in Indonesia is mind boggling. Yet they survived.

b.zang 10-01-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sewingyankee
My ancestors John and William Boynton came to America in 1638. We are descendants of Burton Agnes Hall in Yorkshire, England. My father always said that some of our ancestors were here to greet the Mayflower.

Hey, I'm a Hall descendent, too!
One interesting item I have from the past is the journal one of my relatives kept during the American civil war. Glad I wasn't around then.

You might get a chuckle over this.
I was taking a university course on the multicultural classroom, and we decided to have a potluck dinner to which we each brought a dish that reflected our cultural background. They told me I was cheating when I brought apple pie - now, what's more American than apple pie? Apparently I was supposed to pick something "farther back" but I thought those roots went back pretty far already!

cjomomma 10-01-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
No Mayflowers here, all my ancestors were born here. :)

Mine too!! Well not all of them, mine breeded with the pilgrims.

MegsAnn 10-01-2010 10:09 PM

I don't know when she came over, but one of my ancestors was executed as a witch in Salem. (Don't remember her name off-hand.) That's a pretty cool family story at Halloween. Ooooohhhh.

purplemem 10-02-2010 07:35 AM

My family line is Cherokee, over and over. We were cousins to the Indians that met the Mayflower :D :D

Chasing Hawk 10-02-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
My family line is Cherokee, over and over. We were cousins to the Indians that met the Mayflower :D :D

What!!

And your ancestors didn't push the off Plymouth Rock and back into the water?......LOL

J/k :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Melody 10-02-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny

Originally Posted by Candace
Yup, I was born and raised in MA. Baptized as a Christian Congregationalist(Puritan's religion) and I'm a descendant of Miles Standish. We came over on the Mayflower. Then my relatives proceeded to become ministers, alcoholics, racists and bigots not necessarily in that order. A long pedigree is sometimes over-rated.

Yikes! I wasn't bragging about my "pedigree". I just think history and genealogy are interesting.

Gosh, me neither! And it isn't even "my" pedigree! Little did DH know (and neither did I until we went on a researching hunt with some of my elderly aunts who had tales to tell:shock: ) that he married into a for sure enough, backwoods, moonshining... er... that is to say, hill people. (begging anyone's pardon, and please don't take offense because I am speaking of my family tree only ) :-D

Besides, it's all about history and it's all interesting to me. :-)
Melody

pookie ookie 10-02-2010 11:08 AM

I have several American tribes and American and European witches, too. One was burned alive for making poppets in the 15th century (back when non-essential sewing was evil lol).

Genealogy is fun but I also try to remember that not every paper relationship is a biological relationship. The current percentage of men unknowingly raising someone else's child is pretty high. Some think it's a long standing biological imperative. DNA genealogy can corroborate some lines (if the context is clear).

Anyone having eagle and lobster for Thanksgiving? Oh, if only having a traditional meal weren't illegal...

mom-6 10-03-2010 12:30 AM

One of my cousins got into geneology really big time. He contacted another more distant cousin who had done even more research and got this incredibly detailed lineage that had been traced back to the emperor Charlemagne.

Of course none of it really applies to me since I was adopted as an infant, but it's still really interesting to see all the European royalty from various countries listed and then to follow the family as it moved from North Carolina and Virginia to Alabama and Mississippi and then to Louisiana and east Texas then to central Texas...and that last well over 100 years ago.

On my mom's side we can't go back very far as her grandfather and his brother were the ones to come to Texas from Denmark. As far as I know, nobody has tried to find out anything about the family history back in Denmark.

DH's mom's family has been traced back to Scotland and a cousin of Mary Queen of Scots. And there is controversy in his dad's family as to whether or not a great grandmother was Choctaw or Cherokee (or whether she was even native American or not).

Very interesting research if you have the inclination and the time.