Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone watch Westminster dog show? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-watch-westminster-dog-show-t261423.html)

QuiltnNan 02-18-2015 01:33 PM

great looking beagle... Miss P

mrs. fitz 02-18-2015 03:28 PM

I didn't watch it but my late dad raised beagles and I know he and his field champions are smiling.

glassbird 02-18-2015 04:29 PM

Both of my sister's dogs are closely related to one of the Great Danes in this years show. Last summer, I assisted his handler at ring side by holding his leash while she was in the ring with another dog. The big galoot seemed to find some comfort in standing with one of his huge feet on top of one of my feet...I did not notice until I took my socks off at bedtime that his enormous weight had ground my littlest toe nail right off...blood everywhere. I think my foot had gone numb, and I was so distracted that I never noticed! Lesson learned...do not let a full grown Great Dane stand on your foot. Ever.

Sandra in Minnesota 02-18-2015 04:46 PM

I love watching the dog show!

quiltsRfun 02-18-2015 05:09 PM

I didn't watch but as a beagle lover I was happy to hear that Miss P won.

lynnie 02-18-2015 05:33 PM

watched some of it. my favorite is the Wheaton terrier just love the fur on them.

Dodee 02-19-2015 07:37 AM

I did and agree with you. I thought the Beagle was "cute". My dad had one as did our son. We raised Great Danes and, to me, those shows are very "political". There were judges who didn't like some of the breeds and made it obvious. I still love to watch them tho'. It's expensive to show and you have to hire a handler, which takes all the enjoyment out of it.
Dodee

sparkys_mom 02-19-2015 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7096044)
watched some of it. my favorite is the Wheaton terrier just love the fur on them.

Wheatens are DEFINITELY my favorite. :D

Roberta 02-19-2015 08:09 AM

Never miss it

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7095168)
..........what about the winner! I have some reservations about how some breeds are presented, but who am I???
Fun to watch....

I'm not a big fan of the Beagle in general. We have a sighthound so I'm always rooting for the Borzoi to win that Group.

My dog Hunter was at the Westminster in 2003, great experience even though we couldn't afford to go with him so he went with his handler. I do have a question that perhaps fellow exhibitor's might know the answer to. Are only GCH allowed to enter instead of just a Champion? I totally forget how a dog becomes a Grand Champion, number of shows won, number of dogs defeated?

roserips 02-19-2015 08:28 AM

Watched it and amazed my self by picking the Beagle for best and then the runner up as well, not familiar with that breed. But Miss P was adorable and I love beagles as well.