Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Black Friday!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/black-friday-t205640.html)

ragqueen03 11-12-2012 05:00 AM

I LOVE black friday! But i guess I am fortunate in that we live in a smaller town. Usually take that week of of work and my sister and I go. Last couple of years my nephew's wife has gone with us. We would hit Kohl's plus maybe the mall then head to dunkin donuts for breakfast and get to Joann's around 5 and wait for an hour to get in. I gotta tell you, at our Joann's the people (customers and staff) are wonderful! Even though everyone is standing around getting fabric cut, they look out for each other. After two years of waiting in line we recognize each other. This year I probably won't be going. DH is not working so we are on a strict budget and my "niece" well lets just say not sure if I can tolerate her this year with everything going on. So we shall see. I may go later in the day nothing i really absolutely have to have. Looking for ideas for my great nephews (ages 7, 5, 4) and great niece (six months old) plus my two year old nephew that lives out of state.I have made the rag quilts, pillowcases. just not sure what I could make them this year - any ideas?

kathbug 11-12-2012 05:36 AM

I hate to shop to begin with. My husband and I watch the grandchildren so our girls can go!

JanieH 11-12-2012 09:18 AM

Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't - depends on what's on sale and what I need or want for gifts. My Target (290 @ Tidwell in Houston) has the most organized one ever - uses shopping baskets to keep people in a line so people can't cut in front at the last minute; employees well educated on what is on sale and where it is in the store; roving employees with ads to assist people; every checkout stand open; and everyone with a smile! It has made it a pleasure to shop there (and no, I don't work there or know personally anyone who does!). My second favorite place is JoAnn's.

I also enjoy supporting local stores on Small Business day! We complain about the big box stores running them out of business but we also have to make a commitment to support them also!

Conartist1945 11-12-2012 09:21 AM

I woulod rather kneel on rice than face those crowds! I find it is a great day to have people over to do crafts and sew.

charhend 11-12-2012 09:52 AM

My sister and I did it last year. We left the house at 9:30 p.m. to get up to Fort Worth and left at 8:00 a.m. to come home. We had so much fun and the people were so nice and in good moods. Our husbands said that we were crazy... How could we disagree with them. By the way...we are both in our mid 60's and still had a blast!

k9dancer 11-12-2012 11:41 AM

I quit doing that years ago when I discovered that the sales on that day were no big deal.

quiltmau 11-12-2012 12:36 PM

I'm with you-I was overseas when this started and was amazed when I visited and my nieces said they had to take a nap and not visit so they could hit the stores at midnight. My DH and I flew from Australia to spend the holiday with them and then they couldn't pass a sale???

After that experience my DH and I decided to stop gift giving and to send a check to a local food bank in lieu of gifts to the family. I figured the food bank would appreciate it more!

I have never been out during a sale like this as I hate crowds and am not one to like being pushed or shoved.

But to each their own.

Enjoy your holiday traditions and your families.

BellaBoo 11-12-2012 01:37 PM

I love Black Friday Shopping. I have all my Christmas shopping done but I will still go. I enjoy it more not having anything in mind to buy. I've never been pushed or shoved in the stores I go to. I don't go to the electronic and toy sale stores. I like the smaller specialty stores.

I don't visit relatives at holidays. Every family has their own way of doing what they enjoy that I may not be a fan of and vice-versa. I prefer to visit when nothing is going on and everyone wants to do something fun together.

oldpiglady 11-12-2012 03:44 PM

yrs ago I worked at Walmart. My daughter and I got there early. I had to work at 6:30 am...she waited outside from 4:30. She was the first in line. The closer it got to them opening doors ..the more people were pushing her until she was smashed up against the door. I had to go on in to get ready. When the door was opened she got trampled and lost a shoe. I cried. She managed to get back on her feet...but never again! I heard the other day if you watch the ads during the months prior to the holidays you will probably get a better deal.

Edie 11-12-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by pmrosie (Post 5648452)
Who are the black Friday shoppers and what do you plan on this year? I love Black Friday shopping and take the day off every year.

I have never shopped on that day or ever plan to. And now I hear that Target is going to open at 9:00 PM on Thanksgiving night. I wouldn't step one foot into that store that night or the following day for all the fabric in town.
Is that all there is to Thanksgiving??????? Black Friday?????? Why Black? Why give it such a depressing name!

That is called spleen venting. Have a good evening. Edie