Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cats!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cats-t217526.html)

tessagin 03-28-2013 06:05 AM

I'm not a cat lover but definitely not a cat hater. Cats all over the place is just not my thing. A friend of mine is a long arm quilter (I didn't know she had a longarm but knew she quilted). She is allergic to cats. Once she ended up in the hospital because a client sent her a quilt that had cat dander and hair on it. She went into an asthmatic attack. The client just didn't understand why she sent the quilt back with a referral for someone else to do it. She had to have a professional cleaning team to come in and clean the whole house. I have a friend who has a cat and I won't eat at her house. She understands. Just cat hair all over the place even though she dusts every day with the swiffer. I also don't have any perfumes in my house because of allergies and no scented candles. I do have 3 dogs but they can't and don't get up on my furniture. I have to use the Swiffer on a daily basis but I don't have to worry about them getting up on my furniture. On my lap yes, on my furniture, no!

Wanabee Quiltin 03-28-2013 06:34 AM

We were camping down south recently and our male cat gave up his bed. I knew something was wrong and sure enough, some one (we have 3 dogs !) was sick in it. Once I washed his bed, he went back to sleeping in it. My cat gives me good clear signs when something is wrong, my job is to find out the problem.

sewnsewer2 03-28-2013 07:54 AM

Our furbabies have us trained very well, don't they? :D

IBQUILTIN 03-28-2013 08:43 AM

If you suspect she is leary of the housekeeper, keep your eyes open and trust her judgment

catsnchina 03-28-2013 09:01 AM

She looks like the twin of my Callie kitty who died at age 19 a couple of years ago. I love calicos partly because they all seem have such unique personalities.

We have a large kitty family and find that we need to wash and vacuum their bedding, climbing towers, and carpeted window seat at least weekly or they stop using them. They are fantics about having clean quarters !

Delta 03-28-2013 09:11 AM

Cats are funny that way. I wash theirs every week and the minute it gets put back all 3 try to lay on it. so I have one for each. lol

caspharm 03-28-2013 11:43 AM

Probably something the housekeeper touched or did. Maybe it just needed cleaning. Without watching the cat, it may be hard to find the answer, but glad she's okay and back in her bed.

kayluvs2quilt 03-28-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN (Post 5960503)
If you suspect she is leary of the housekeeper, keep your eyes open and trust her judgment

I totally agree with this ... my cats definitely have an instinct about the character of the person(s) in our house. Keep your eyes and ears open.

donna13350 03-28-2013 02:38 PM

It may not be your housekeeper as much as what she may have had on her hands when she picked it up to shake it out...depending on what she was cleaning it could have been anything from oven cleaner to comet cleanser, ammonia from window washing, etc...all are offensive to cats! My cat won't come near me after I've spent a day with my sister, who wears a LOT of perfume! I have to shower before he'll come near me!

nivosum 03-28-2013 08:21 PM

My cat loves to push, snuggle or whatever into my son's armpit. It doesn't matter if he just got out of the shower or not. We figure it must be a musk smell. Anyway, the other night he was letting her have her way when he started laughing. He said she was biting in that area. Then she fell asleep snuggled up to him and his underarm. I have never had a cat like an armpit. Our other cat (God rest his soul) loved to rub the top his head on my son's beard. He would let him do it until the saliva started flowing. Animals are funny, but then they probably think the same of us.