Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   CHOOSING A MATTRESS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/choosing-mattress-t131661.html)

plainpat 06-19-2011 12:24 PM

We have a name brand pillow top mattress that we've never cared for.My husband could prob sleep on a packing crate,but I'm having problems sleeping.
With a lot of arthritis in hips/knees,I often toss & turn,then move to a sofa & sleep sound.Doesn't make sense, but that's how it is & we're going to look for a new mattress.

Trying to decide between memory foam or a firm pillow top.Don't want to spend another fortune.Has anyone bought a mattress from Sam's Club or Ikea?I'd like to hear your opinions.Why do you like/not like a mattress? Brand name,fabric...or ???

amyjo 06-19-2011 12:27 PM

I have a lot of arthritis in my knees and lower back. I have slept on the air sleep # beds. Would never buy one, same with the temperpedic memeory foam. they are so hard to get out of. Make you sweat like a butcher too.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-19-2011 12:29 PM

No but we got one with memory foam that is about 20 inches high. Not only is it a pain to make but after only 3 years it has dips in it where we sleep. I HATE it!! As soon as I can I'm going back to a Sealy Posturepedic.
I don't know if this helps you or not but I hope you find a good one :)
Oh- and it kills my back but doesn't bother my husband. But he doesn't like it either for the same reasons I don't.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-19-2011 12:29 PM

Sorry, dbl post

dglvr 06-19-2011 12:29 PM

I have a bad back and the doctors all told me to get a firm pillow top so I did and I'm looking to buy a different one now too. Spent a fourtune on this one so I've stuck it out with it but I hate it. I'll be watching posts to this as well. Thanks :thumbup:

amma 06-19-2011 12:30 PM

What about trying a memory foam pad on the top of your mattress to see how you like it? :D:D:D

dglvr 06-19-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by amma
What about trying a memory foam pad on the top of your mattress to see how you like it? :D:D:D

That is a good idea.

plainpat 06-19-2011 12:40 PM

We already have that....& don't notice a difference when it's on the bed.

Originally Posted by amma

plainpat 06-19-2011 12:47 PM

We have a Serta Perfect Sleeper. Forgot to say,DD no 1 has the type where you dial a number.It's ok....DD no2 has the memory foam & loves it.I've slept on both,but wasn't in the market then.

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
No but we got one with memory foam that is about 20 inches high. Not only is it a pain to make but after only 3 years it has dips in it where we sleep. I HATE it!! As soon as I can I'm going back to a Sealy Posturepedic.
I don't know if this helps you or not but I hope you find a good one :)
Oh- and it kills my back but doesn't bother my husband. But he doesn't like it either for the same reasons I don't.

running1 06-19-2011 12:53 PM

My DH says (and I agree) that our Sleep Number mattress (you sleep on air!!) is the best investment we've ever made... Several friends bought one too, after we went on so about ours!! 3 out of 4 couples just love theirs, too... but 1 did not... gave it to her DD and DSIL and they love it? DH had backaches... gone!!

I won't ever sleep on anything else!!