Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CHOOSING A MATTRESS

Blog Entries
    We have a name brand pillow top mattress that we've never cared for.My husband could prob sleep on a packing crate,but I'm having problems sleeping.
    With a lot of arthritis in hips/knees,I often toss & turn,then move to a sofa & sleep sound.Doesn't make sense, but that's how it is & we're going to look for a new mattress.

Trying to decide between memory foam or a firm pillow top.Don't want to spend another fortune.Has anyone bought a mattress from Sam's Club or Ikea?I'd like to hear your opinions.Why do you like/not like a mattress? Brand name,fabric...or ???

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of arthritis in my knees and lower back. I have slept on the air sleep # beds. Would never buy one, same with the temperpedic memeory foam. they are so hard to get out of. Make you sweat like a butcher too.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No but we got one with memory foam that is about 20 inches high. Not only is it a pain to make but after only 3 years it has dips in it where we sleep. I HATE it!! As soon as I can I'm going back to a Sealy Posturepedic.
    I don't know if this helps you or not but I hope you find a good one :)
    Oh- and it kills my back but doesn't bother my husband. But he doesn't like it either for the same reasons I don't.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Sorry, dbl post

I have a bad back and the doctors all told me to get a firm pillow top so I did and I'm looking to buy a different one now too. Spent a fourtune on this one so I've stuck it out with it but I hate it. I'll be watching posts to this as well. Thanks :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    What about trying a memory foam pad on the top of your mattress to see how you like it? :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    What about trying a memory foam pad on the top of your mattress to see how you like it? :D:D:D
    That is a good idea.

Blog Entries
    We already have that....& don't notice a difference when it's on the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by amma

Blog Entries
    We have a Serta Perfect Sleeper. Forgot to say,DD no 1 has the type where you dial a number.It's ok....DD no2 has the memory foam & loves it.I've slept on both,but wasn't in the market then.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    No but we got one with memory foam that is about 20 inches high. Not only is it a pain to make but after only 3 years it has dips in it where we sleep. I HATE it!! As soon as I can I'm going back to a Sealy Posturepedic.
    Oh- and it kills my back but doesn't bother my husband. But he doesn't like it either for the same reasons I don't.

Blog Entries
    My DH says (and I agree) that our Sleep Number mattress (you sleep on air!!) is the best investment we've ever made... Several friends bought one too, after we went on so about ours!! 3 out of 4 couples just love theirs, too... but 1 did not... gave it to her DD and DSIL and they love it? DH had backaches... gone!!

I won't ever sleep on anything else!!

a regular here
    We have a temperpedic mattress and love it. We have had it for about 7yrs.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    We just bought the dual mattress w/pillow top.. My side of the bed is nice and squishy for me and stiff as a board for his side.. I love it...

Which memory foam do you have? Is it the Tempurpedic?

Blog Entries
    Has your mattress stayed level? Someone said theirs shows where you sleep with dips in the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    We have a temperpedic mattress and love it. We have had it for about 7yrs.

Sleep Number is the best mattress I have ever had.
    I am not a good sleeper, but since getting a Sleep Number my husband and myself are getting a good night's sleep.

If you have a Camping World store nearby they have better prices.

I've got a regular extra firm Sealy Posturpedic and love it. Memory foam was too soft, and could never get comfortable on a sleep # bed. Since mattresses are now one-sided (no more flipping...yeah!!), I bought a European feather bed to put on top of the mattress. Love it!! The soft, conforming nature of the feather bed combined w/ the firmness of the mattress...sheer heaven for me!

I have a memory foam mattress pad on my mattress. It does wonders. I have arthiritis also. Mine is easy to get out of and I feel good when I get up.

I have a tempurpedic (must be getting towards 10 years old) and I love it. I don't think there were a lot of choices when I got mine and I understand that now there are different degrees of firmness and height(depth?. Maybe it is the softer ones that are hard to get out of. Mine has a firm enough edge and even with several dogs on the bed with me, I have no problems maneuvering. Also you can't feel it when any of us moves around. (Isn't that kinda like having a DH in bed with you? LOL I have no hubby, just critters)

Also doesn't the tempurpedic allow you to use the mattress for at least 60-90 days and return it if you don't like it?

We had one like that and I had to take a lot of photos and send it in, but they honored the warranty. But, we had to use that toward a new mattress at that store. We got the Tempurpedic, but we got the thinner one, and none of the sheets fit! I know how to sew, but I don't know how to alter the sheets to make them fit.

Blog Entries
    Have sleep number bed. Love it but the pillowtop wearing out!!

I asked the same question here just a few weeks back...and we ended up buying a latex mattress. We've only had it just over a week so it's early days but so far we love it. The first morning I got up without the usual back pain that I've had for the last few years..yay! I still have some stiffness but it's greatly improved to what it was. Our's is classed as a medium and there's no pillow top on it and we like it just like that. We have to turn it for even wear and we were told to also make sure we use the middle of the bed at times...like if you got to bed and read :)

Good luck with your mattress hunting..there's just too many choices out there..lol.

Blog Entries
    I bought the mattress in a box from Costco and think its the best one I have ever purchased. I did not buy a new box spring, just used what was there.

Blog Entries
    We had a pillow top mattress and hated it. DD loved it so she has it. It was so hot to sleep on we couldn't stand it. We now have a Sterns and Foster, it is OK but it is only 7 years old and it is shot. It has major dips in it and we could't get them to honor the warranty. They say the dips have to be over and inch deep and they are but we can't get them to do anything about it. It is also one sided and can't be flipped so I feel this makes it not last as long. I am very dissatisfied in everything I have looked at. If anyone finds anything good I would love info.

do u have Denver Mattress in your area
    I have bought 3 mattresses from them and not too pricey
    no Sam's club mattress

I got a memory foam pad to go on top of my mattress,I like it but it will not stay on it slides over the edge. Drives me crazy.Also it's hot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast