Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cloth diapers versus paper diapers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cloth-diapers-versus-paper-diapers-t191829.html)

ShabbyTabby 06-15-2012 04:19 PM

Say what you will, but how I wish there had been disposable diapers back when I had my children. I would not wish diaper buckets, daily laundry, folding dozens of diapers on anyone!

quiltingcandy 06-15-2012 04:45 PM

My kids were 50/50 with cloth diapers and disposable. The day care wanted to use disposable and I would use the cloth at home. It worked out well, and I had enough to wash with just the ones at home. It was great when I had a diaper service but that was more expensive than disposable ones.

My niece had twins, she works full time as an emergency room RN, she used disposable diapers as there are just so many hours left in the day. Also her husband works 7 days a week doing farm work.

nativetexan 06-15-2012 05:14 PM

I still have some thin cloth diapers from decades ago. i use them to dust with.
when i had my son, my hubby's fellow employees set us up with a diaper service. wonderful thing to have!! they were cloth diapers too!!

G'ma Kay 06-16-2012 03:38 AM

Ok, I'm old. I used cloth on my oldest daughter, now 34, and used those wonderful Curity diaper liners that could be flushed for #2. Plastic pants were a pain, they were expensive for the good ones, but they lasted a lot longer when washed and dried with the diapers. Some were made out of the same fabric rubberized sheets (Like mattress pads for cribs) and they were my favorite. My second daughter had rash from cloth, no matter what detergent I changed to, and KMart's store brand disposable worked best for her. The third daughter also had skin issues and we used "Luvs" on her overnight and cloth during the day. When the first grandaughter came along, we used cloth, she got a rash from paper diapers. The babysitter would not use the cloth, so she had to provide disposables during the day, but used cloth at home and at night. If she went somewhere over a weekend and used cloth, the child was a red, bumpy mess! None of the other four grandchildren had the experience of cloth diapers. Maybe they'll wind up in a museum one day!

SunlitenSmiles 06-16-2012 03:50 AM

ok, quess I may be the oldest here.....no one else seems to remember hemming fabric to make diapers.....and it was easy for me because I had an electric sewing machine.

disposable may not be all that new...American Indians used the fluff inside the catail plants

damaquilts 06-16-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5290834)
It's all about convenience. People will pay A LOT of money for convenience, real or perceived. Look at the "meals" in the freezer section of the store. DH and I have a laugh over frozen, precooked pancakes. But someone must be buying them.

Actually the one that gets me is the PB &J sandwiches. For real??? I don't buy the pancakes but I do the waffles.. But I have frozen my own pancakes .

damaquilts 06-16-2012 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby (Post 5291730)
Say what you will, but how I wish there had been disposable diapers back when I had my children. I would not wish diaper buckets, daily laundry, folding dozens of diapers on anyone!

I remember cleaning out dirty diapers with my youngest brother And at the time we didn't have running water. When the first disposables came out when I had my first kid you can bet I jumped on those. Being the oldest of 6 kids there was no way I was going to rinse/ soak /wash diapers again.

amandasgramma 06-16-2012 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 5292405)
ok, quess I may be the oldest here.....no one else seems to remember hemming fabric to make diapers.....and it was easy for me because I had an electric sewing machine.

disposable may not be all that new...American Indians used the fluff inside the catail plants

They used fluff from cattail plants cuz leather just was NOT absorbant!!!! LOL

meanmom 06-16-2012 04:40 AM

I used cloth diapers on all 4 of my kids. Loved them. It doen't really take that long to wash them. If i didn't have the time to fold them I would just use them straight from the laundry basket. MY 2 oldest got the most awful diaper rash from disposables it required a trip to the doctor. With the 2 youngest I did use some disposables when we were out. I can understand day cares not using cloth what would they do with all the dirty ones.
Everything these days is for convenience. Hardly anyone cooks from scratch either. We had 6 people in the house and had less then half of the garbage every week of the neighbors with 3 people. All the boxes and packaging from convenience foods. Lots of ways to make less garbage not just diapers.

Tartan 06-16-2012 04:45 AM

I prefered cloth diapers for my children but I did use disposable for when I was out. I had no intension of carrying around dirty diapers when out visiting, going to restaurants or on vacation. My children had very sensitive skin and would break out from the chemicals used in disposables so they were for occasional use only.