Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Computer virus -need some advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/computer-virus-need-some-advice-t42450.html)

watterstide 04-13-2010 03:20 AM

this Fake virus protection program is a real bugger to get off your computer..
i ended up have to totally wipe clean the hard drive...(and not I, a company did it.) nothing could be saved.

i lost all pictures "in My Pictres"..the only thing i didn't loose, is the picasa pictures..they are stored on thier site.

the

Rhonda 04-13-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i ended up have to totally wipe clean the hard drive...(and not I, a company did it.) nothing could be saved.

i lost all pictures "in My Pictres"..the only thing i didn't loose, is the picasa pictures..they are stored on thier site.

the

This stupid virus used my contacts and sent it to my DDs computer. a friend of theirs Shane used a disc he has and he managed to get it off her computer with out losing any files. I am hoping it will work for me too. It is the same virus so it should work.

sewcrafty 04-13-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Originally Posted by watterstide

the

This stupid virus used my contacts and sent it to my DDs computer. a friend of theirs Shane used a disc he has and he managed to get it off her computer with out losing any files. I am hoping it will work for me too. It is the same virus so it should work.

Good Luck !!! :thumbup:

brushandthimble 04-13-2010 08:01 AM

OK, so I opened my laptop to call Kaspersky back as I did not receive the email and my computer seems to be OK; what gives? I'm sure it did not fix itself :lol:

Rhonda 04-13-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
OK, so I opened my laptop to call Kaspersky back as I did not receive the email and my computer seems to be OK; what gives? I'm sure it did not fix itself :lol:

Did you have this virus on there? In the first stages it doens't take over your comp and will go away for awhile. Someone earlier said theirs went away after 4 days of her ignoring it. But i have had this one trying to get on for weeks now

quilting memaw 04-13-2010 09:10 AM

I use AVG and Firefox, Never have had a problem. Would not use anything else! You can buy AVG on line and down load Firefox for free. Good luck!

sewcrafty 04-13-2010 09:23 AM

If this is the same thing that hit my computer, it says its sent out all these e-mails, but actually hasn't. It plain scares the H*** out of you. Its a program that wants to be purchased. It kept popping up until I called comcast and they put me in touch with Nortons. It made my computer act a little wonky where I couldn't do certain things. It was taken off in minutes.

brushandthimble 04-13-2010 09:40 AM

I had these pop up's that would not go away saying they were Vista security that I had a serious virus that my computer was at risk, that I had spyware and a worm. I could not open email, asked for permission to open. I never gave permission and kept clicking the x to close the vista security message.
I went to all programs, there is no vista, it wanted me to purchase a security program. My security program is Kaspersky.
I am afraid it may be hiding in the background; but there is nothing to indicate it.
Do I just wait and see?
Why am I spending $ for a security program and end up with a virus anyway?

Rhonda 04-13-2010 09:43 AM

I don't think anything is 100% foolproof. You just do the best you can. I'm not a tech so I don't really know.

yourstrulyquilts 04-13-2010 02:15 PM

I had these pop up's that would not go away saying they were Vista security that I had a serious virus that my computer was at risk, that I had spyware and a worm. I could not open email, asked for permission to open. I never gave permission and kept clicking the x to close the vista security message.
I went to all programs, there is no vista, it wanted me to purchase a security program. My security program is Kaspersky.
I am afraid it may be hiding in the background; but there is nothing to indicate it.
Do I just wait and see?
Why am I spending $ for a security program and end up with a virus anyway?

When I had problems with what sounds like the same virus, I asked my geek the same question. He said that the security program I have is constantly being updated, because people are constantly putting out new virus/worm/trojan. Sometimes the V/W/T gets out before the security system gets the new update to stop it. So he put on Malware and Spybot, both free versions, and I run them once a week. I have had no more problems.