Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Could we have a No cussing No bird flipping day, puh-leeze? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/could-we-have-no-cussing-no-bird-flipping-day-puh-leeze-t47971.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 06-02-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about only married people being nude in bed with each other?

HAHAHAHAHA- geeeeeeezzzzzzzz I think those days are over!!!
Has anyone noticed how charming the old movies are??? Tons of romance but nothing you can "see". We watch them all the time- so many good ones!! :D

bearisgray 06-02-2010 07:53 AM

I do miss some of the "old" shows - Red Skelton (I am dating myself here) was about as risque as the radio/TV shows got.

I used to think Benny Hill was VERY risque.

zyxquilts 06-02-2010 08:21 AM

Wow! I'm glad he just went around you! What a day that guy must have been having.
I used to work with a mechanic that used the *f* word as his favorite adjective. This same guy, when he wrote his story on the repair order, never used contractions - he felt that if you used them, it meant you didn't know how to spell things out correctly. :wink: (He would also ask if he wasn't sure how to spell a word.) Anyway, I just got tired of hearing *f*-in' this & that, and told him that using that word over & over made him look ignorant. There were lots of other adjectives he could use....after that, he rarely ever said it again ~ at least around me! :D

bearisgray 06-02-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
Wow! I'm glad he just went around you! What a day that guy must have been having.
I used to work with a mechanic that used the *f* word as his favorite adjective. This same guy, when he wrote his story on the repair order, never used contractions - he felt that if you used them, it meant you didn't know how to spell things out correctly. :wink: (He would also ask if he wasn't sure how to spell a word.) Anyway, I just got tired of hearing *f*-in' this & that, and told him that using that word over & over made him look ignorant. There were lots of other adjectives he could use....after that, he rarely ever said it again ~ at least around me! :D

I agree - I've always thought the over-use of any word - especially the "f" word is a show of ignorance like you said - and/or a complete lack of imagination.

CRH 06-02-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about only married people being nude in bed with each other?

HAHAHAHAHA- geeeeeeezzzzzzzz I think those days are over!!!
Has anyone noticed how charming the old movies are??? Tons of romance but nothing you can "see". We watch them all the time- so many good ones!! :D

Not only nude, but with "slurpy" sound effects every time they kiss???? EEEEEEEWW!!

littlehud 06-04-2010 06:48 PM

I know just what you mean. We are surrounded by it. I just don't understand it. Can't people express themselves without profanity. Guess not.

Boston1954 06-04-2010 07:06 PM

My sister told me a story one time about the woman who lived downstairs from her in Rhode Island. The woman's kids were playing outside and swearing all over the place. The woman yelled out the window "You f--ing kids stop that swearing."

Gee, I wonder where they get it from.

bearisgray 06-05-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
My sister told me a story one time about the woman who lived downstairs from her in Rhode Island. The woman's kids were playing outside and swearing all over the place. The woman yelled out the window "You f--ing kids stop that swearing."

Gee, I wonder where they get it from.

That is really kind of sad, but it did make me laugh - for the moment.

quilting memaw 06-05-2010 08:26 AM

saw a bumper sticker last year that said....
ARE YOU THIS CLOSE TO GOD??

good one for tail gaiters! I want to have several made up for our cars...LOL....

roseOfsharon 06-05-2010 08:35 AM

It is true, cussing has become a language in itself and acceptable to the young and midage group for sure. TV has promoted the most of it, but decipline is what really brings about poor language habits. I am not blaming all parents, as we know, once a child has become a certain age, parents know nothing of life etc. But many times kids are not spoken to on bad habits and using bad langauge is one of them. It seems to be the acceptable way of things, "it's just an expression, why not use it" attitude.
I too, wish things would revert back to when using bad language was feared or at least spoken in private and not so freely spoken without regard for children's presence or others in general. I am thinking those days are past. Sad but true.