Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dangers of electic blankets and quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dangers-electic-blankets-quilts-t56705.html)

Gramof6 07-31-2010 08:31 AM

You could not pay me to use an electric blanket. I am that afraid of them. Dad was a Fireman for 20 something yrs & oh the horror stories we have heard! I also made Corn pillows & pads that we heat in the microwave. I slip them in @ the foot of the bed and it is nice & toasty when I crawl in. They I can put my feet on the corn pads or pillows. I made many diff sizes. Even some small ones that I heat & put in my pocket to keep the hands warm when I'm outdoors. I used Cracked Corn like Deer Hunters use. Made the pillow or pads out of ticking fabric and then made cute pillowcases for them. Heat the lg one for 3--3 1/2 mins. and it is better than a heating pad.

bearisgray 07-31-2010 08:36 AM

I was reading a book about feng-shui - and it mentioned that electromagnetic fields close to our bodies can be disruptive - especially at night when trying to sleep.

(clock radios, computers, TVs, almost anything that has to be plugged in)

Can/should people with pacemakers use electric blankets?

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-31-2010 08:38 AM

Thanks for the tip! I used an electric blanket years ago, and under a comforter too. Fortunately, nothing happend. I got rid of the electric blanket when I got my first kitten. I didn't like the sound of his claws catching on the blanket. Haven't used one since, since I have had cats ever since!

Ginger2010 07-31-2010 09:29 AM

wvdek, I am the same way! I have alot of electricity in my body and I also feel the vibes or lectric shock, whatever it may be!! But when I start feeling them, I immediately turn the blanket off for fear of getting lectrocuted! Scarey! I have so much electricity in my body that I shorten out the tv signals sometimes! My electric blanket caught fire one time while heating up before going to bed about 30 years ago! Yep, caught my mattress on fire, well really it just smoldered but I caught it in time before it caught fire, from smelling the smoke! Yes, I still use an electric blanket to heat up my bed, but I am continuously checking it! My cause of the damaged blanket was that the wiring must have shorted out from washing and alot of use! It was given to me already used! Layering the quilts still does not heat the bed before entering and I don't have enough body heat to heat it!! But when my husband is in bed, he is like 100 degrees and it doesn't take long to get warm with him beside me!!

nannan 07-31-2010 12:11 PM

That is why I use a rice bag (just pop it in the microwave for a minute for hours of heat - no wires) rather than an electric heating pad. Also pile on the quilts for me. Never did like blankets of any kind.

zz-pd 07-31-2010 07:07 PM

Wow I am so thankful that no one was hurt. God bless.

Poodles 08-02-2010 07:44 PM

My son and DIL bought me a heated mattress pad about 3 years ago because I get so cold in the winter and I cannot lie down in a cold bed when I am so cold. But last year after my daughter heard of the blanket and the child, she harrassed me last year too take the mattress pad cover off. Almost had me scared too the point I almost took it off and throwed it away but I don't have quilts too cover the bed. Even with the bed heated sometimes I would get DH too put some throws over my feet and legs cause they were so cold. I found two quilts the other day in some things in our storage building but they need so much repair done to them. DH bought an old quilt at an estate sale a couple of months ago and it has some bad spots on the edges that need fixing. Guess he is trying to tell me I won't have the mattress cover this year. I always turned them on about 2 hours before going to bed and when he got in bed, he would turn his side off. I am just cold natured to the point of being miserable when winter gets here.

Farm Quilter 08-02-2010 08:27 PM

Poodles,

I completely understand the being cold in winter! My old farm house has original single-pane windows and an oil furnace that is over 50 years old (read 57 degrees in the winter costs $600+ per month). I'm always cold. I made several sizes of rice bags, heat in the microwave and put in the bed 15 minutes before I climb in. They really heat up the bed and keep me warm all night long. Flannel sheets help as well! After seeing the damage done to the quilt, I will never use anything electric on my bed again. My friend is lucky her son wasn't burned severely, killed or her house burned down. Makes me love my rice bags even more!!!

BuzzinBumble 08-21-2011 02:23 PM

That is a very scary thing to have happen! Who knew!?!?! I'm posting on your topic in the hopes that it will move to the front again and be read by a few more people. I'm sure glad the little boy is okay!!! Makes me wish I could take the poly batting out of my past 3 quilts. (i'm a newbie) But I can warn their users and use cotton from now on! I didn't like the uneveness of the poly batting I was using anyway. It was so thin in spots. The best way for me to buy cotton batting is to use those JoAnn 50% off coupons!

BuzzinBumble 08-21-2011 02:25 PM

And for all you people with chilly farm house bedrooms... just borrow a friend who is hot flashing and have her come over and tuck you in at night! I'm available on weekends. :-P