Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dangers of electic blankets and quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dangers-electic-blankets-quilts-t56705.html)

whereaminow 07-30-2010 02:25 PM

I don't know how long ago your great aunt and uncle died, but I'm sorry for your loss.

Woodster 07-30-2010 02:33 PM

Electric blankets should be discontinued. What a fire hazard. Scary stuff

Olivia's Grammy 07-30-2010 02:42 PM

We use a heating pad to warm our feet in the winter. DH turns it off when he comes to bed. I think all my quilts have 80 20 batting. Glad the child is safe, as some one else said, blankets and quilts can be replaced, not so with children.

sewbeeit42 07-30-2010 03:08 PM

Thanks for the warning. We have our electric blanket on a timer so that it turns on a half hour before we get into bed to take the chill off and shuts off during the night. For those with blankets, you might consider doing this as the blanket does not get left on accidentally and it saves electricity.

Dogwood Quilter 07-30-2010 03:45 PM

When I was a teen in the 50's, yes I am dating myself, there weren't electric blankets. I slept upstairs without heat here in the mid-west and it was cold in the winter. We heated river rocks, that were nice and smooth, on the wood stove and wrapped those in old clothes or old flannel sheets and put in the bed under mounds of quilts to help get warm and stay warm. Many a time the cloth that wrapped the rocks would be scorched the next morning. I wonder how close I came to a bed fire? All our quilts had cotton batting as this was before polyester. The GOOD OLD DAYS! Just thought I would share.

Jingle 07-30-2010 04:08 PM

The warning on electric blankets says not to put anything on top of it. People don't read warnings or follow them, the reason some have dumb sounding warnings on them. Life don't use a hair dryer in the bathtub, someone did that and that is why they have them on all type of warnings. I have used electric blankets and had no problems, cotton batting would have just caught fire. Warnings tell you not to leave the on when not in use, DUH.

Annaquilts 07-30-2010 04:25 PM

Bad news for me. I sleep under atleast one electric blanket, one polar fleece blanket and one quilt come Fall. Just the electric blanket is not going to cut it and I can't get warm. Do you think it had to do with a person sitting on top? Because I know you are not supposed to sit on top of an electric blanket.
Cold in SoCal

Annaquilts 07-30-2010 04:27 PM

[quote=Kathy N]I lost a great aunt & uncle to an electric blanket fire. I've not used one since. They are scary.[/

Yikes is this recent!

amalia64 07-30-2010 05:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, I don't like them but my husband does. Glad the boy is fine.

nellie 07-30-2010 05:35 PM

wow thats scarey thank god i,ve never brought one, as im always scared to use one ,now i know why ?,happy to hear no one got hurt or the house did,nt burn down .at least one good lesson came out of this on electic blankets