Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   December Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/december-weight-loss-adventure-prize-t235757.html)

QuilterMomma 12-06-2013 09:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some Friday Frantics for you ladies. Keep warm and many happy stitches for you. Be sure to see which snowman you are.

QuilterMomma 12-06-2013 09:17 AM

I am Merry McBlizard. How awesome that is since the country is in a deep freeze right now. I made the snowballs for my Christmas Table Dinner that is tonight. I definitely will post a photo of how festive it will be. Oh and I have lost three pounds already. I am thrilled. I so want those batiks!

createfourpaws 12-06-2013 10:27 AM

I am Bells McChilly.

You go Beth....congrats on that loss.

littlebitoheaven 12-06-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by musicaljan (Post 6431241)
I had only planned to be vegetarian/peskatarian for a month - but it was easier than I thought so I am going to continue it. I am adding in some more exercising too. My nephew is getting married 1/4/14 so there is added incentive.

Musicaljan! What is peskatarian?

meanmom 12-06-2013 04:04 PM

QuilterMomma. I love your snowballs. Is there a pattern? I am making a pincushion for a gift. What do you guys fill yours with? I know a lot of people use crushed walnut shells. I don;t want to use those because of all the people with nut allergies. Someone suggested emery sand. I have found it locally, but it is really expensive online. I am hopefully going out shopping tomorrow to find something to stuff it with.
Lots of snow, ice, sleet here today so hopefully it will be cleaned up enough to shop tomorrow. I was supposed to meet my sisters, mom and SIL for breakfast tomorrow to plan our Christmas gift exchange etc. We are meeting at Panera. MMM! I love their food. I need to figure out what to order that won't be really bad.

QuilterMomma 12-06-2013 04:29 PM

i fill my larger cushions with silicone beads. They are tiny little beads that you find in packaging. But also they sell them online. I used to make dolls and stuffed with that. Emery sand is expensive so I use that only for the small needle sharpening ones. I have received cushions filled with poly batting as well that is stuffed really hard in there. I have done this and topped off with the emery sand so you can still sharpen the needles. As for the walnut shells, I use them. My theory on that is if the person is allergic to nuts, isn't it just when they eat them not around the food. It is like a food allergy theory, only if it is intaken. We are not to put needles in our mouth. I stuffed the snowballs with left over polar fleece and batting, wool, poly, and cotton. I cut them up into smaller pieces with the rotary cutter and stuffed away. Worked great and they are stuffed firmly. The pattern came with the embroidery designs. I will have to look them up again if you want the website to get them. The pattern is just a baseball. Take a baseball or soft ball and cut the stitching off and you have the two pieces to use as patterns.

musicaljan 12-06-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven (Post 6442700)
Musicaljan! What is peskatarian?

A peskatarian is when you are vegetarian but also eat fish. =D

musicaljan 12-06-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma (Post 6442862)
My theory on that is if the person is allergic to nuts, isn't it just when they eat them not around the food. It is like a food allergy theory, only if it is intaken. We are not to put needles in our mouth.

I'm sure it's on the rare side, but I thought I'd share the info. I have two friends with nut allergies. They are both very sensative to it. One of them has to carry an epipen. Even the nut rubbing on her skin will have an emergency reaction.

That level of sensativity is not common. I just wanted to throw it out there.

irishrose 12-06-2013 09:17 PM

I just use batting or fibrefil. The emery sand is too abrasive for regular use. My pins got a little rough with it. And, no, you don't have to eat something to be allergic to it so you are wise not to take the chance on the walnut shells. The allergens can be airborne.

CindyA 12-07-2013 02:05 AM

I am Bells McSnowy. Those snowballs are cute, I wish I had some for my students. We use white hose, in sections, tied up with batting inside. They love throwing the 'snowballs.' Do you know how hard it is to find white hose these days?

I didn't have a great week due to stress eating. But on the bright side, I wanted chocolate ice cream last night after dinner and my DH resisted and saved both of us!!