Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Deliberate mistakes by the Amish - - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/deliberate-mistakes-amish-t264632.html)

AnngelAnne 04-30-2015 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7181333)
I know I don't ever have to worry about intentionally making a mistake....they happen all on their own and I frequently miss them to fix.

WE have been discussing copywrite a lot in quilt group lately. My question here is this.....if you are using a pattern and you make a mistake and leave it, thus making it your own, does that mean it no longer pertains to any copywrite issue?

Jingle 04-30-2015 03:34 AM

I try very hard to not make mistakes BUT, I do. I don't have to try to make mistakes, they just happen.

meanmom 04-30-2015 03:47 AM

I have a friend who always messes up one block on her quilts on purpose because of this. Drives me nuts. But they are her quilts she can do what she wants.

katesnanna 04-30-2015 03:51 AM

Quote from an Amish woman :- I make enough mistakes so don't need to do it on purpose.

maviskw 04-30-2015 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna (Post 7181565)
Quote from an Amish woman :- I make enough mistakes so don't need to do it on purpose.

This is what the Amish quilters told me. Ask an Amish quilter. Get it from the horse's mouth!

patricej 04-30-2015 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne (Post 7181543)
WE have been discussing copywrite a lot in quilt group lately. My question here is this.....if you are using a pattern and you make a mistake and leave it, thus making it your own, does that mean it no longer pertains to any copywrite issue?

no, it does not mean that.

adamae 04-30-2015 05:41 AM

I have never heard this concept before. My Mennonite mother would not have thought making a mistake acceptable. I've never seen this in practice in their quilting.

ManiacQuilter2 04-30-2015 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7181126)
you said it right:they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.

I TOO like what Lynnie said. I made one small mistake in my Bargello quilt that I posted here. I only found it out AFTER I quilted it. But I do accept the fact that I am human and being disable, I make MORE mistakes than I want to count. :(

callen 04-30-2015 07:54 AM

I personally think "the myth" just adds to the charm of an Amish quilt. I am lucky to have one of their beautiful creations & I will cherish it forever.

coopah 04-30-2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by adamae (Post 7181689)
I have never heard this concept before. My Mennonite mother would not have thought making a mistake acceptable. I've never seen this in practice in their quilting.

An Amish lady has quilted three of my tops. None of them came back with any noticeable mistake. All I noticed was the beautiful handwork, and I gave thanks that she was willing to help.

Lynnie nailed it with her comment. Thanks, Lynnie! :thumbup: