Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Deliberate mistakes by the Amish - - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/deliberate-mistakes-amish-t264632.html)

bearisgray 04-29-2015 12:04 PM

Deliberate mistakes by the Amish - - - -

If the Amish make a deliberate mistake on a quilt to be humble -

Do they do the same on a piece of furniture?
On a meal they are cooking?
On a piece of machinery they are building?
On breeding their livestock?
On putting up a fence?
On a building they are putting up?

Jan in VA 04-29-2015 12:17 PM

Isn't it an oxymoron if one is humble deliberately on purpose? Like, because if you didn't deliberately make a mistake (because you're really too good to make one by mistake, you see) then people would think you're really trying to be like God. :rolleyes:

i never did get this.

Jan in VA

Tartan 04-29-2015 12:21 PM

I think that is a myth. Any Amish work I've seen is top notch because the work of their hands is to glorify God.

ckcowl 04-29-2015 12:43 PM

They accept the fact nothing is perfect and tend to leave a mistake when it happens. They make from scratch, everything, so, there are always ( flaws) some you may not notice or perceive as a mistake- just like when you show a non quilter your quilt they have no idea it is not exactly the way you intended it to be, only you know your errors. Each time they cook doing all from scratch and memory the same dish can be different each time- use one seasoning once, something different the next.... What ever the case, they don't stress over not having/using exactly the same. And woodworking is the same. Maybe this piece of wood has a knot in it the next one does not, its used anyway, the carpenter may be unhappy with it, but we see it & think its beautiful. Or that fence may have 2 or 3 slightly warped posts-- a perfectionist with plenty of $ may toss those posted, the Amish are going to use them. Its not so much they go out of their way to create imperfections, they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.

lynnie 04-29-2015 01:08 PM

you said it right:they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.

patricej 04-29-2015 01:44 PM

it is a myth that the amish purposely include a mistake.

mike'sgirl 04-29-2015 02:03 PM

Why is it perceived that the Amish are perfect (by some)? Of course they do beautiful work, they are human. Just sayin'... ��

bearisgray 04-29-2015 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7181117)
They accept the fact nothing is perfect and tend to leave a mistake when it happens. They make from scratch, everything, so, there are always ( flaws) some you may not notice or perceive as a mistake- just like when you show a non quilter your quilt they have no idea it is not exactly the way you intended it to be, only you know your errors. Each time they cook doing all from scratch and memory the same dish can be different each time- use one seasoning once, something different the next.... What ever the case, they don't stress over not having/using exactly the same. And woodworking is the same. Maybe this piece of wood has a knot in it the next one does not, its used anyway, the carpenter may be unhappy with it, but we see it & think its beautiful. Or that fence may have 2 or 3 slightly warped posts-- a perfectionist with plenty of $ may toss those posted, the Amish are going to use them. Its not so much they go out of their way to create imperfections, they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.

This explanation makes sense.

NJ Quilter 04-29-2015 06:01 PM

I know I don't ever have to worry about intentionally making a mistake....they happen all on their own and I frequently miss them to fix.

solstice3 04-30-2015 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7181126)
you said it right:they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.

I like the way you said it.