Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did you watch NCIS last night? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-you-watch-ncis-last-night-t91916.html)

amorerm 01-21-2011 06:00 AM

He was also Ricky Nelsons brother-in law.

I just told someone that this week and they didn't believe me. Shows our age !! LOL

marknfran 01-21-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Bob Newhart played Ducky's predecessor. He was suffering from a form of dementia and the agents made a slide show about his life to help him remember the people in his past.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to do for loved ones that are developing signs of that disease? Only print the pictures and names off and make a quilt for them? Pictures that said, "My daughter, Janie" or "My husband, Don" or even "My dog, Jasper."

That's what I was thinking about while I watched the show and just thought I'd share.

My SIL has dimentia and her birthday is March 8th. I am going to make her a pillow with each family member's picture on it. I am planning on using the avatar that Uglycook uses. Later I will make a matching quilt.

hobbykat1955 01-21-2011 01:55 PM

I did that for my Aunt who was in a N/H and couldn't have allot of photo's due to space..So I printed out photo's onto fabric and made her a memory pillow

quiltyjax 01-22-2011 06:31 AM

NCIS is my favourite US show. We've just started series 7 here so I don't know how long I have to wait for this episode. I'll know to have the tissue box handy!

raptureready 01-23-2011 04:47 AM

For those of you that have mothers/fathers/grandparents with forms of dementia, did you know that there are tests out there now that will detect the onset YEARS before your first symptom? One is a type of PET scan on the brain and another is testing of the spinal fluid. They test the spinal fluid for two different proteins, if they're present your chances of developing a problem are really high. ANYWAY, if you have any form of dementia in your family you should be tested. There are medicines available, that if started early enough, can post-pone the onset by years and years and quite possible prevent it from ever developing. Great strides are being made in early detection and prevention. If you're an "at risk" person you should check with your doctor.

JanetM 02-10-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Bob Newhart played Ducky's predecessor. He was suffering from a form of dementia and the agents made a slide show about his life to help him remember the people in his past.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to do for loved ones that are developing signs of that disease? Only print the pictures and names off and make a quilt for them? Pictures that said, "My daughter, Janie" or "My husband, Don" or even "My dog, Jasper."

That's what I was thinking about while I watched the show and just thought I'd share.

We did something similar for our Mom who has Alzheimers. My sister and I made her a memory photo album. She loves looking at the pictures but doesn't recognize anyone...not even herself. Can you imagine not even knowing your own face or your parents....cruel disease.