Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a brown lawn? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-brown-lawn-t140991.html)

oatw13 07-28-2011 05:43 PM

I would call it a nice yellow-green. We live on top of a hill on the corner and our lawn gets the full sunshine from sun-up till sun-down. We have watering restrictions and can only water certain days of the week. We also live in a subdivision with an HOA so we have to water and have at least a green-ish lawn.

I wish we had plush, green lawns...

cctx. 07-28-2011 06:26 PM

More like a golden brown around here; grass will turn into tumbleweeds soon if we don't get rains.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-28-2011 06:30 PM

Not this year. We've been very lucky to get rain when we need it. That's so unusual for central Ohio.
It's been hot but everything looks good.

blueangel 07-28-2011 06:42 PM

Mine is brown and all the leaves are falling. It is very dry and we have had 33 days of triple digits.

cjsparks 07-28-2011 06:45 PM

Look at it this way....if grass doesn't grow we save gas. I'd rather have green grass.

Stitchit123 07-28-2011 06:55 PM

We've had 3 soakers in the last 2 days and the lawns are still brown and crunchy -it hurts to walk on it so I've had to start wearing shoes The good thing is I don't have to be out in the heat mowing it

Joyce99 07-28-2011 07:07 PM

I've let my lawn die, in fact, helped it along with some Roundup. Hate mowing. And we're on water meters now. The only green things are along the property lines where the plants get water from the neighbor's yard!

BluegrassGurl 07-28-2011 07:08 PM

This time of year... it is not unusual for us to have a brownish lawn. We do not water our lawn.... we live on a farm.... no way to water that much land.

While it has been extremely hot for the past month here in south central Kentucky, our lawn still looks (surprisingly) lush and green due to several sporatic rain showers.

babyquiltlady 07-28-2011 07:10 PM

No my is green and I can hear it growing. This time of year in South Florida we generally have to cut the lawns about twice a week due to the rains.

If only we could share some of our moisture now and then in the winter when we are dry, you would all pass it back down.

wolfkitty 07-28-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingMom80
Most of the people here in Syracuse area have brown lawns including me. We have had no rain for a long time. Most of us do not have sprinkler systems because we never get this dry around here. It has been overcast all day today...hoping for lots of rain tonight!!!!!!!

We live 2 hours south of Syracuse, and we have the same problem. Some people water, but if everyone did it, we would have a water shortage. Another thing is if you water the lawn enough to get it green the water bill goes way up, as we have to pay for water here. The economy being what it is here, that may be why a lot of people don't. Just let Mother Nature handle it.