Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a brown lawn? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-brown-lawn-t140991.html)

Steady Stiching 07-29-2011 04:51 AM

We let it brown up naturally every year here in Michigan. We have water restriction and city water is expensive as for every drop of water you pay for you also have to pay an even higher drainage fee.
The lawn will come back. Have read articles that state its better to let it brown than to water inconsistantly. I save the water for the veggies I grow.

svenskaflicka1 07-29-2011 05:09 AM

the nice thing about most grass is that its genetic design is such that it will go dormant during a dry season, and then cheerfully pop back to green when it rains. of course, if it is truly fried, it will not respond--but in most cases, it's just fine to have a brown lawn, because it will "heal" itself. since there are such water shortages, it's a lot more ecologically sound to let it go dormant than to keep watering and wasting a resource just to make a "botanical pet" like a lawn jump through a hoop of turning green...

scrappylouisa 07-29-2011 05:10 AM

Our lawn is going brown. It costs us $90 a month for just basic water and sewage. The first summer we lived here we watered the lawn and our water bill was $150....that was the last time we watered the lawn.

mummadee 07-29-2011 05:16 AM

Mine is pretty green, only because it's mostly weeds and they are so hardy they stay green. I'm not interested in lawns, I have a lawn kid who mows and edges and keeps it neat looking. That's good enough for me.
I use my energy to save my shrubs and flowers in this triple digit heat. Only water what I intend to live.

ShowMama 07-29-2011 05:27 AM

I live in Central Texas and the drought has hit us hard. My yard is definitely brown from lack of rain. Even the weeds are dying and you know how hard it is to kill those things! We've been watering our youngest trees to keep them alive, but the grass is just on its own.

grannypat7925 07-29-2011 05:30 AM

No sprinkler system and lack of rain!

Iamquilter 07-29-2011 05:52 AM

No problem here, we have had rain every week and lawns are green all over. also we live in the country and can water anytime we want.

vickimc 07-29-2011 05:56 AM

yes it is brown. when it rains it perks up to green for a few days. 100% weather kills the grass. not everyone has a ditch with water or irigation system. Lucky you. We just live with it in the southeast.

ranbro 07-29-2011 06:16 AM

We live in central tx. The temp has been over 100 degrees for the last 40 days. No rain in all that time as well. The lawn is so brown--not even the weeds will grow now. No rain in site. If this keeps up, the lakes will be dry. A water usage curtailment is in the works. Trees are dying and the crops have dried in the fields.

mhansen6 07-29-2011 06:45 AM

No water restrictions here. My lawns is lush and green. My husband fertilizes it far too much so he has to mow it several times a week. Don't feel sorry for him. He loves getting out on his lawn tractor and buzzing around the yard. He says it is relaxing after a hard day at work.

I am so sorry about all those who have droughts. I have been praying for rain for you.