Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you let your housework go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-let-your-housework-go-t194090.html)

quiltsRfun 07-09-2012 07:03 PM

Housework? Seems like I've heard of that. Not sure what it is though. :D

Yes, I'd much rather quilt than clean house.

Chasing Hawk 07-09-2012 07:14 PM

I keep my house clean. I used to be a total clean freak. But I decided it didn't need to be that clean...lol

As long as I can see the floor and look out the windows, I can clean tomorrow....haha

kathdavis 07-09-2012 07:22 PM

Love your saying, Jazzmyn:

"If you come to see me come anytime.....If you come to see my house make an appointment."
I recently just told my friend something very similar.

There is so much more than a clean house to be remembered for.

I think quilters are passionate about this topic.

Rose_P 07-09-2012 07:53 PM

I, too, used to do a bit better than I do now. What helps me is taking note of how little time is actually involved in basic things. Both of us have a habit of drying off the sinks, faucets and shower right after using them every time, and they always look okay. Dishes for two people can get shoved into the dishwasher in under 5 minutes and the laundry is a rude and repeated interruption, but really only takes a few minutes at a time. It helps a whole lot to buy fabric that needs to be washed. I usually put it in with a load of like-colored clothes.

I like to cook if it's quick and good, so keeping up the kitchen seems normal. If we didn't use it, it would become a dumping ground.

The big bugaboos are the occasional/seasonal chores. The freezer is an embarrassment. Windows are washed outside maybe every 5 years if we notice the need, and only the ones downstairs. So far the neighborhood association hasn't run us off. (I hope they're not following this thread! :o)

Neesie 07-09-2012 08:00 PM

One of my favorite quotations:

"Our house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy." ~Author Unknown

burchquilts 07-09-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey (Post 5351260)
I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one. I look around my house, see what needs to be done, feel a little guilty, and then go to my quilting room and then i feel better!

I hear ya! Actually, I used to be Super Housekeeper. Back in the day, I took alot of my identity from how my house looked (go figure) & I just felt better about the world when my house was clean. But, then I got a new DH & house, my health took a serious turn towards the non-cleaning side (for real... my orthopedic surgeon told me "No more scrubbing the bathroom floor on your hands & knees" & I didn't have to be told twice... LOL!), & quilting (& this board) moved to the front of the line. So, now my house is messy. And while it bugs me sometimes, most of the time when it starts to get to me, I go into my sewing room & forget all about the rest of it... LOL!

MadQuilter 07-09-2012 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5351053)
You need an hour to prepare for guests? I need a week!

or two. lol

My favorite saying: You can eat off my floor - you're bound to find something. lol

Joset 07-10-2012 03:32 AM

my house is definetly lived in too. this time of year it is because of all my flowers
and my four gardens. but my husbands sister called yesterday her and another
sister are coming for two days. i looked around the house and looked at the dog
and said oh my. so will be doing little housing keeping to day and tomorrow. lol

linynp 07-10-2012 03:37 AM

What's housework?
Enough said lol!

mommawz 07-10-2012 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5351044)
I use to clean my house every day. It was spotless. Everything dusted, carpets vacuumed, floors mopped, laundry washed daily, windows washed, deck, patio and driveway hosed off weekly. Then I discovered quilting. Now my house isn't spotless anymore. When someone is coming over, I tell them to give me an hour and I run around like mad trying to pick things up to make my house presentable. I still clean, but it's not a priority anymore. I don't clean daily like I use to. I would rather quilt. Any one else like that now that they found quilting?

my house will need cleaned after I' m dead The quilts I make will keep someone warm for a long time