Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you let your housework go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-let-your-housework-go-t194090.html)

carolv 07-10-2012 04:18 AM

Y'all are toooooo funny! I do what I can when I can, if people don't like it here's the broom.

Eyelets 07-10-2012 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella (Post 5351128)
I absolutely relate! I am not a daily house cleaner any more due largely in part to my medical issues but someone once said to me:
The epithet on my headstone is not going to read "She kept a spotless home." (even if I did).
I also like to go by:

THIS HOME GLADLY WELCOMES YOU TO COME IN BUT DON'T EXPECT TO FIND ALL THE DISHES DONE, ALL FLOORS A SHINE. OBSERVE THE CRUMBS AND TOYS GALORE, THE SMUDGY PRINTS UPON THE DOOR. THE LITTLE ONES WE SHELTER HERE DON'T THRIVE ON A SPOTLESS ATMOSPHERE. THEY'RE MORE INCLINED TO DISARRAY AND CAREFREE, EVEN MESSY PLAY. THEIR NEEDS ARE GREAT, THEIR PATIENCE SMALL. ALL DAY I'M AT THEIR BECK AND CALL. IT'S MOMMY COME! MOMMY SEE! WIGGLY WORMS AND RED SCRAPED KNEES. PAINTED PICTURES, BLOCKS PILED HIGH, MY FLOORS UNSHINED, THE DAYS GO BY. SOME FUTURE DAY THEY'LL FLEE THIS NEST AND I AT LAST WILL HAVE A REST! NOW YOU TELL ME WHICH MATTERS MORE:
A HAPPY CHILD OR A POLISHED FLOOR?

Hugs
April

What a beautiful post. My mother used to say exactly that - no one will carve "She kept a spotless house" on anyone's tombstone! And she lived. And I do too. As for cleaning for guests - I do that some, but I figure when they leave it will really need cleaning so why kill myself before they come?! ;) If they come in with a white glove, they're never coming in again. ;) Kids, pets, hobbies, things to do - they all come first, and then of course you do need to keep it fairly clean and safe to live in. Have a great day!

nycquilter 07-10-2012 04:52 AM

If God wanted me to cook and clean, my hands would be aluminum! That was a saying I read years ago and it applies happily to me. I was never much of a housekeeper so I pay someone else to clean for me. When my DD was living at home, I had someone in once a week. Now, it is every other week. I like clean, I just don't like devoting my time to it.

joyce j 07-10-2012 04:53 AM

I loved all your sayings an no more housework. Dont do much myself. live alone an have housecleaned once a month. Thats enough for me. joyce j

lillybeck 07-10-2012 04:57 AM

I have never kept a spotless house. The house was the cleanest when the kids were home and had chores before school every morning. I think a bit of dust gives the place character. lol. I do laundry once a week and clean the bathrooms. Someone vacuums at least once a week but it is not always me. I still do not get to spend as much time in my serwing corner as I would like but I still have three things going at once. A book to read, hand embroidery. and a quilting project. Oh I do clean the kitchen once a day.

ellenmg 07-10-2012 05:03 AM

Why clean when you can sew/quilt/garden/play with the dogs,cats,chickens/enjoy the flowers? I have never been a spic and span housekeeper and don;t plan to start now....And I want my epitaph to be "she had fun" not 'she kept a clean house', Besides, it will be dirty three days after I die anyway...

Mariah 07-10-2012 05:19 AM

When I Retired, many friends heard me say,"I will do everything necessary in the house in the morning, then "play" in the afternoon; sew, read, play the piano or flute. Well, it doesn't work that way; we go places in the morning when it is cool, work in the flowers/yard. \
It used to bother me that everything wasn't done by noon, but now I try to be more "laid back" about it all. It is important to remember we don't know when our "last day on earth" will be, and won't we want tobe remembered as a nice person who gave to others and was not tied up in knots about her house? Mine is basically pretty good shape most of the time; just don't stress about it.
Mariah.

Grannyh67 07-10-2012 05:24 AM

make bed, clean kitchen, keep bathroom clean. I dust weekly if I'm in the mood. My house is well lived in. Not dirty but well lived in. There is more to life than house cleaning. I do clean kitchen as soon as we are through eating, just a habit. I have a little magnet ion my fridge that says " You may touch the dust but don't write in it" LOL. Also if people are coming to see my house and how clean it is or how dirty it is, stay away. If you have come to see me, come on in, love to have you.Keep sewing Girls, life is short!!!!

sguillot 07-10-2012 05:26 AM

My house is very lived in. I still work a full time job and at my age by the time I get home and feed my puppies(2) then I'm usually to tired to to much else. I do try and keep the laundry done and my sewing room somewhat straight to make it easier to sit and sew but other than that I ask everyone to please not just drop by. I hope to retire in January and the first thing I want to do is to clean my house so I don't feel so guilty about spending time sewing. OK, I don't really feel guilty, everyone tell me it's my life, my home and I can do what I want to. My husband passed away 4 years ago and it's just me and the pet and they don't care, just more time I can spend with them. Love reading this everyday and getting new ideas to do when I can.

mythreesuns 07-10-2012 05:28 AM

When you talk about house work... are we talking about making room for more fabric in our livingrooms/dine areas etc?? You know the drill, having to move things around to make it fit. If thats what you are talking about..sure I do a weekly cleaning then. ha ha ha If your talking vacuume..I do that also weekly..and sweep weekly.. as it seems like I drop pins etc weekly. I need to pick them up some how. I make sure my kitchen and bathrooms are done daily. It is just my DH and I..so it is not like we have clothes/toys all over the house. My floors always look like they are never swept as the thread bunny always leaves a trail all over the house... lol