Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone clip coupons? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-clip-coupons-t231853.html)

Prism99 10-06-2013 11:32 AM

What I noticed about coupons is that you need to base what you purchase on what coupons you have. 90+% of the time the coupons are for things that I would not normally buy. I think I actually save money by sticking to the tried-and-true items that work for the way we cook and eat.

Maybe look for other ways to save money on food? I know some people save by planting gardens and canning/freezing. If you have a black thumb like me, though, you can waste a lot of money and time on things that don't grow! Not to mention kitchen disasters......

Another option is to look for ways to make a little extra money. If you can master eBay, some people go to garage sales and purchase items to resell online. There are quite a few Youtube videos of people who show what they are buying, what they expect to get, etc. It helps if you have a smart phone so you can look up item prices on eBay, but that's not strictly necessary if you develop a good eye and "feel" for prices.

NJ Quilter 10-06-2013 11:35 AM

Same here. Don't use many pre-packaged foods which is what I generally see coupons for. The odd coupon I see for something that we actually use, I'll clip and might remember to use. Half the time I forget to use them before they expire because I use them so infrequently! As someone else said, if you don't use the product, there's no sense buying it just because you have a coupon for it. Definitely no bargain there!

ragquilter 10-06-2013 01:55 PM

The shows are bogus. They grocery store overrides the coupons for the show. I worked for a grocery store for 16 years, all the stores I know have rules about how many coupons can be used at one time. I have read on different coupon sites that some of the people on these shows committed coupon fraud. You can buy coupons on ebay and there are several sites that only sell coupons. I never found that it was worth it. It is a shame you don't have an Aldi's because they are so cheap. If you are not in an area that doubles coupons they aren't worth it for sure. I buy food boxes every month from one harvest ministries and it is an amazing deal. I also can order from supreme outreach. I am in North Carolina so I'm not sure what outreaches would be available in your area but I get a family box for $37.72 that feeds 5 of us for a week.

suern3 10-06-2013 02:19 PM

One of those shows featured a woman who went dumpster diving for newspaper coupons people had thrown away. These tv programs just have the most extreme cases to attract viewers. Most are shown buying tons of unhealthy products or toothpaste, etc. that will last two lifetimes.

CindyA 10-06-2013 04:07 PM

I rarely find coupons on the items I really use and need. Then I forget to take it with me to the store! I just do better by planning my meals around inexpensive items and cooking from scratch (rather than prepared items). I think there was a thread here a year or so ago about frugal living. I'll try to find it and post here on this thread.

Here we go:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ly-t36502.html

It was started in 2010 but I'm sure there are plenty of things that still apply! I love the challenge of saving money. :)

Quiltaddict 10-06-2013 04:16 PM

Like ragquilter said, stores around here have a limit of three of the same coupon that can be used. Also, none of the stores here double coupons anymore. Plus the coupons have changed, now you have to buy two or three cans of the item to use the coupon. I used to use coupons when they doubled them and you only had to buy one thing. It's just not worth it any more. Sad but true

hopetoquilt 10-06-2013 05:44 PM

Coupon ing does not work for me....
I save money by doing the following:
carefully plan a weeks worth of meals.
eat left overs.
avoid restaurants except a Friday pizza (we both work full-time so we do splurge here)
shop from a list and stick strictly to it. Impulse shopping is where the $$$$ is lost.
avoid processed foods ALMOST completely. They don't fill you up or keep you full for long, they make you unhealthy and cost alot
pack lunch every day (spend 20 minutes packing 6 days worth of lunch salads.
There are recipes for cleaners on the Internet. A few rags and some 5%vinegar (rest is water) will clean almost anything.

i create a wish list on Amazon. I don't allow myself to buy anything unless it has remained on the list for a month. By then, I usually don't want or need it.
Try to be creative to make what I already have work
i also wear hand me downs. Some of my best clothes were free for me.

your best bet is to buy 4-8 weeks worth of an item if it is on sale. That is the length of time before it will go on sale again.
walmart also price matches, research how to make that work.

Save elsewhere. Write down what you spend and where each month and figure out where you want to cut money from. Have FUN with it. Every time you save $, put it in a jar to buy quilt fabric or something else important.

Do not get overwhelmed. Try to make one change per day or week.

I live in NJ, one of the most expensive states in the country (cost of living is so high here) so I feel your pain. Each day, try not to spend. It will become habit

Anniedeb 10-06-2013 09:23 PM

I think it seems to be different regionally, and rural vs urban. We get several coupon packets in the Sunday paper. I only clip what we actually use/need. It's not a bargain if I spend money on something I don't need. While our main grocery store doesn't double coupons, they will let you use a manufacturers coupon in conjunction with their own newspaper ad coupons. They also often run bogo offers. I mainly use name brands, watch for sales, buy meat, rice, flour in bulk and repackage. We garden, so enjoy an abundance of veggies and herbs. Can some, freeze some, give some away!

Caswews 10-07-2013 03:27 AM

I use Redplum and Coupons.com for coupons that I use for the household buys. I find ALL laundry Detergent coupons there.
During the winter the coupons are what I call chintzy and are low ball prices. But during the summer you can find some good bargains. I have found some coupons for pork, ham and turkey as well on some of the sites.
Sometimes you can write the parent company of certain brands and you will receive coupons (like Crisco, Smuckers etc... for a good amount off). I received 4- 1.00 off Ida frozen potatoes from one compay for telling them how much I liked their product.

BUT I only clip and print what we would use; with one exception-during the summertime when the ice cream coupons are a good deal (like 2-3.00 off each purchase), then we will buy a variety of ice creams and freeze them ( our summertime indulgence!LOL).

quiltmom04 10-07-2013 04:07 AM

I have done the coupon thing, but I have found that I actually spend MORE money with the coupons. Just because if I have one, I may buy a product I wouldn't necessarily buy, just because I had a coupon. Sort of like when we buy fabric because it's on sale and not because we need it. I do use a few coupons if they are for products I will really use, but I don't make a reality TV show obsession out of it.