Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does fabric "pick up" emotions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-fabric-pick-up-emotions-t270590.html)

bearisgray 10-01-2015 01:33 PM

Does fabric "pick up" emotions?

I have seen lots of posts saying "the receiver of that quilt will feel all the love that is sewm into it" and one lady posted she did not want to make a quilt while she was feeling sad because she did not want the receiver of that quilt to feel sad.

Do you think/feel a quilt does pick up (and keep) the feelings of the maker? And if that would be the case - would it pick up any emotions of other people that handled it along the way?

I don't know the answer - just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feeling about it?

Doggramma 10-01-2015 01:57 PM

Well, when I'm making a quilt for someone I try to be in a positive mood and say nice things while working on it. Just in case bad vibes could be "felt" by the recipient. It's the same way I speak to my car so it treats me right. My daughter had a boyfriend once who asked me if I talked to things when no human was there to hear. What a dopey question.

Irishrose2 10-01-2015 02:09 PM

Why not? We are energy beings and fabric is energy differently arranged, so I don't see why it's not possible.

suern3 10-01-2015 02:17 PM

I don't know if it does or not, of course, but I'm not taking any chances:)! Recently, while I was working on a quilt for 3 year old DGS I was having some problems. Told my husband I was not going to complain about it because I didn't want negative thoughts going in to it. Plus, I don't want to put more negative thoughts out into the universe, either.

Tartan 10-01-2015 03:25 PM

No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions. The people who give or receive quilts have the emotions. All you have to think of are the many posts of quilters who lovingly make a masterpiece only to have it become the dog bed.

M.Elizabeth 10-01-2015 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7333322)
No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions. The people who give or receive quilts have the emotions.

I agree whole heartedly!

zozee 10-01-2015 04:37 PM

I'm in Tartan's camp on this one. I think it's actually kind of creepy when people start in with anthropomorphism (assigning human qualities to inanimate objects) unless I'm reading fiction or watching TV. If I thought that every feeling of sadness or frustration would be "picked up" and passed on to the recipient, I'd never give away a single quilt. I'm often sad or angry about the reason behind I'm making one--for someone with cancer, a child in foster care, a sister going through a divorce. If cancer, abuse, and infidelity exist and propel me to try to comfort the one suffering from the effects, then my love is going to be felt (I hope) by the recipient.

quiltingcandy 10-01-2015 05:15 PM

I am one of those people that have extra electricity in my body - I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. And If I am upset my body has a tendency to cause other items that draw electricity to short circuit, I can't even use a phone. So I would be afraid to use my machines, even if I was trying to calm myself. I don't think fabric will hold on to the negative, but when I make my quilts I do it to feel good. Sometimes they don't come out the way I hope but my intentions are there.

QuiltnLady1 10-01-2015 05:53 PM

If I am upset when I am quilting, nothing goes right. If I am depressed (especially after loosing some good friends to ovarian cancer), then quilting is not a joy. I don't know if my feelings go into the fabric, but I do know it affects how I feel about what I am working on -- I usually don't care for the result and have a hard time finishing the project. Sigh...

cathyvv 10-01-2015 06:11 PM

I agree 100%.