Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Does fabric "pick up" emotions?

  1. #1
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    23,115

    Does fabric "pick up" emotions?

    I have seen lots of posts saying "the receiver of that quilt will feel all the love that is sewm into it" and one lady posted she did not want to make a quilt while she was feeling sad because she did not want the receiver of that quilt to feel sad.

    Do you think/feel a quilt does pick up (and keep) the feelings of the maker? And if that would be the case - would it pick up any emotions of other people that handled it along the way?

    I don't know the answer - just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feeling about it?

  2. #2
    Super Member Doggramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wis
    Posts
    5,316
    Well, when I'm making a quilt for someone I try to be in a positive mood and say nice things while working on it. Just in case bad vibes could be "felt" by the recipient. It's the same way I speak to my car so it treats me right. My daughter had a boyfriend once who asked me if I talked to things when no human was there to hear. What a dopey question.
    Lori

    *********

  3. #3
    Super Member Irishrose2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,210
    Why not? We are energy beings and fabric is energy differently arranged, so I don't see why it's not possible.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,886
    I don't know if it does or not, of course, but I'm not taking any chances! Recently, while I was working on a quilt for 3 year old DGS I was having some problems. Told my husband I was not going to complain about it because I didn't want negative thoughts going in to it. Plus, I don't want to put more negative thoughts out into the universe, either.

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    36,438
    No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions. The people who give or receive quilts have the emotions. All you have to think of are the many posts of quilters who lovingly make a masterpiece only to have it become the dog bed.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions. The people who give or receive quilts have the emotions.
    I agree whole heartedly!

  7. #7
    Super Member zozee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    9,002
    I'm in Tartan's camp on this one. I think it's actually kind of creepy when people start in with anthropomorphism (assigning human qualities to inanimate objects) unless I'm reading fiction or watching TV. If I thought that every feeling of sadness or frustration would be "picked up" and passed on to the recipient, I'd never give away a single quilt. I'm often sad or angry about the reason behind I'm making one--for someone with cancer, a child in foster care, a sister going through a divorce. If cancer, abuse, and infidelity exist and propel me to try to comfort the one suffering from the effects, then my love is going to be felt (I hope) by the recipient.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chula Vista CA
    Posts
    6,730
    I am one of those people that have extra electricity in my body - I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. And If I am upset my body has a tendency to cause other items that draw electricity to short circuit, I can't even use a phone. So I would be afraid to use my machines, even if I was trying to calm myself. I don't think fabric will hold on to the negative, but when I make my quilts I do it to feel good. Sometimes they don't come out the way I hope but my intentions are there.

  9. #9
    Super Member QuiltnLady1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,599
    If I am upset when I am quilting, nothing goes right. If I am depressed (especially after loosing some good friends to ovarian cancer), then quilting is not a joy. I don't know if my feelings go into the fabric, but I do know it affects how I feel about what I am working on -- I usually don't care for the result and have a hard time finishing the project. Sigh...
    QuiltnLady1

    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    7,781
    I agree 100%.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    14
    Well, there have been times, that if fabric "picked up emotions", and changed colors due to my (shall we say colorful language when I'm in the middle of a screw-up) I'd have some weird looking quilts

  12. #12
    Super Member Billi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    Posts
    2,572
    No I don't think so,

    I sometimes choose fabrics or patterns based on my mood or current circumstances and the overall composition of my project reflects that much like a canvas painting reflects a mood or feeling of the artist.

    To me the words "made with love or lovingly made" when we see a quilt that we do not know the history of reflects the craftsmanship of straight seams and perfect points, maybe a creative quilting motif. When its used because I made it for a friend or family member they know I love them and it's about that I took the time to make something for them. The love and caring and someone feels when wrapping themselves in that home made quilt is more about the known feeling for the giver not the fabric passing it along.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

  13. #13
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    3
    I agree totally. It's happened to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions. The people who give or receive quilts have the emotions. All you have to think of are the many posts of quilters who lovingly make a masterpiece only to have it become the dog bed.

  14. #14
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    3
    LOL!!!! Same here! Whew!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Well, there have been times, that if fabric "picked up emotions", and changed colors due to my (shall we say colorful language when I'm in the middle of a screw-up) I'd have some weird looking quilts

  15. #15
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,831
    I don't think inanimate objects pick up feelings, one way or another. If I had to look at a project that I made while I was having bad feelings, sad feelings, etc. it would remind me of those feelings, but, once it left my house, it would be with the intended recipient in mind and I would hope it would please them.
    Alyce

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    4,294
    No, I don't think so - I think it's a superstition, but a harmless one and a sort of fun one. I like to say that "my quilts are hugs trapped in fabric" but that's just an expression.

    But, even though I'm certain it makes no difference whatsoever, I still talk to inanimate objects and try to pour good feelings into anything I'm making (food, quilts, art...). It makes ME feel happy and lighthearted to do these silly things, so I don't really care if it's all in my imagination. I pat my machines on the "head" and tell them they're good and beautiful all the time...it doesn't bother them any either way so I figure no harm, no foul.

    My father once told me I don't have a choice about growing old but I DO have a choice about growing UP. I think there is real value in retaining some types of childishness, and this is one of the "childish" things I've held onto. I hum along with the vacuum cleaner because it works better when it feels like it's part of a team, I tell the timer "I'M COMING!!!" when it goes off so it won't get impatient, and when my car is acting up I pat her on the dashboard and reassure her that she's a good car and we'll get through this together.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    809
    Inanimate objects don't have feelings, however, how we feel when we are working on a project can determine the way we like or dislike the outcome. As my granddaughter always says, it messes up her Feng Shui.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have seen lots of posts saying "the receiver of that quilt will feel all the love that is sewm into it" and one lady posted she did not want to make a quilt while she was feeling sad because she did not want the receiver of that quilt to feel sad.

    Do you think/feel a quilt does pick up (and keep) the feelings of the maker? And if that would be the case - would it pick up any emotions of other people that handled it along the way?

    I don't know the answer - just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feeling about it?
    WHAT??????? You're kidding, right?

  19. #19
    Power Poster ManiacQuilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    18,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions.
    I agree too.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

  20. #20
    Super Member crafty pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    6,101
    I feel that a person getting a gift they know someone put a lot of love and hard work making it feels the love they know the person making it felt while making it. And know how much that person loved them to make it for them.

  21. #21
    Super Member notmorecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    east kilbride Scotland
    Posts
    1,324
    I don't think the quilts pick up emotions, but if I'm not in a very good frame of mind, it affects my sewing and I don't do my best, x

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,545
    I don't think they pick up emotions but if I am sad or angry, they are awfully hard to complete and just aren't fun to make.

  23. #23
    Senior Member ShirlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Billi View Post
    No I don't think so,

    I sometimes choose fabrics or patterns based on my mood or current circumstances and the overall composition of my project reflects that much like a canvas painting reflects a mood or feeling of the artist.

    To me the words "made with love or lovingly made" when we see a quilt that we do not know the history of reflects the craftsmanship of straight seams and perfect points, maybe a creative quilting motif. When its used because I made it for a friend or family member they know I love them and it's about that I took the time to make something for them. The love and caring and someone feels when wrapping themselves in that home made quilt is more about the known feeling for the giver not the fabric passing it along.
    Good explanation of why those phrases are used. My feelings exactly. Thanks.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

  24. #24
    Senior Member ShirlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    No, I don't think so - I think it's a superstition, but a harmless one and a sort of fun one. I like to say that "my quilts are hugs trapped in fabric" but that's just an expression.

    But, even though I'm certain it makes no difference whatsoever, I still talk to inanimate objects and try to pour good feelings into anything I'm making (food, quilts, art...). It makes ME feel happy and lighthearted to do these silly things, so I don't really care if it's all in my imagination. I pat my machines on the "head" and tell them they're good and beautiful all the time...it doesn't bother them any either way so I figure no harm, no foul.

    My father once told me I don't have a choice about growing old but I DO have a choice about growing UP. I think there is real value in retaining some types of childishness, and this is one of the "childish" things I've held onto. I hum along with the vacuum cleaner because it works better when it feels like it's part of a team, I tell the timer "I'M COMING!!!" when it goes off so it won't get impatient, and when my car is acting up I pat her on the dashboard and reassure her that she's a good car and we'll get through this together.
    Ohh, how sweet! I love your post! You sound like a person I'd like to have as a next-door neighbor!
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

  25. #25
    Super Member mike'sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    starke,Florida
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    No, I don't think so - I think it's a superstition, but a harmless one and a sort of fun one. I like to say that "my quilts are hugs trapped in fabric" but that's just an expression.l

    But, even though I'm certain it makes no difference whatsoever, I still talk to inanimate objects and try to pour good feelings into anything I'm making (food, quilts, art...). It makes ME feel happy and lighthearted to do these silly things, so I don't really care if it's all in my imagination. I pat my machines on the "head" and tell them they're good and beautiful all the time...it doesn't bother them any either way so I figure no harm, no foul.

    My father once told me I don't have a choice about growing old but I DO have a choice about growing UP. I think there is real value in retaining some types of childishness, and this is one of the "childish" things I've held onto. I hum along with the vacuum cleaner because it works better when it feels like it's part of a team, I tell the timer "I'M COMING!!!" when it goes off so it won't get impatient, and when my car is acting up I pat her on the dashboard and reassure her that she's a good car and we'll get through this together.
    You sound like a fun person. 😁

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.