Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Emotions About This

Mixed Emotions About This

I feel both Sad and Happy over this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pc-Lot-Yell...item3cc4a485af
    Not the fabrics, but the description:
    "This is from the estate of a avid sewer. This talented, older lady was an avid sewer who had a basement turned into a sewing room filled with fabrics, patterns, 5 sewing machines and everything else you can think of associated with sewing. She also had weakness for soft, rich looking fabrics.While I was not able to acquire any of her finished quilts, I was able to get a hold of many of the fabrics and quilt patterns she had left. Please enjoy!"

On the one hand, how marvelous for this talented lady that she was able to create a haven for her sewing & quilting and surround herself with things to fuel her passion! But on the other hand, it's so sad she didn't have a chance to use it all. What's that saying? She who dies with the most fabric wins?

It is sad. It reminds me I really need to use up my stash.
    Sandra

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
    .....reminds me I really need to use up my stash.
    Yeah, because one man's treasure is another man's trash. Or in our case, a fabric one quilter adores is "yucky" to another quilter. Since I chose and love my stash, it behooves me to use it up before leaving this mortal coil and forcing my daughter to dig through for the few things she wants, then passing the rest on to the local guild as leftovers for community quilts.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

As someone who just sold a large part of my stash----it was so fun to watch and share with others my love of fabric--- I enjoyed it and now others are too----With what I still have left ( and I know it is still a lot) I will enjoy and have asked my children (when I no longer can sew) to take what they want and then donate the vintage machines and fabric to the local animal shelter to sell or auction for "sew many animals"that need homes.

Blog Entries
    I look at it this way. I love fabric. I have a pretty significant stash which brings me much happiness. I will NEVER use all that I have but that doesn't deter me from gathering more. Leaving a stash behind after I am gone doesn't trouble me one bit. I have left specific written instructions for my family as well as discussed with them on how to dispose of my sewing and quilting supplies when I am gone. They know who gets what and what to do with anything that is left over. I even have some rare, highly sought after, hard to find fabrics that are separate from my stash. My family knows that these fabrics are special and will be sold. I also let my family know that if they didn't wish to follow my instructions upon my demise, that is their prerogative. I'm not going to come back and haunt them!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Our sewing rooms hold our passion. After we are gone, it's just stuff to be dealt with the best it can be.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I've been cleaning out my sewing room bit by bit. no way can i live long enough to use everything i have. sad but true!

It's interesting to read your thoughts on this and i feel better. Thanks!
    Maybe we should look upon it as evidence of a life well lived!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
    Absolutely!!!!
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

What a great life she had! I hope to be just like her one day.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
    I agree with this 1000%
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I'm looking into taking mine with me....LOL!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

One reason why I don't have a stash, I want to enjoy my stuff now not later

Sounds to me like this lovely lady spent much of her time doing what she enjoyed. She found material she fell in love with and bought it right then and there as she would be sure to use it for something eventually. We've all done it, I know I have, either bought fabric I had no immediate use for but I just couldn't pass it up; or was given some fabric by friends or family that needed just the right pattern and other matching/contrasting material I don't have.

I guess she is smiling down upon us now laughing at how we are all speculating how sad it is to leave behind such treasures. I am sure she made magnificent things and now someone else will out of the items she didn't use.
    Evelyn

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynJ View Post
    Sounds to me like this lovely lady spent much of her time doing what she enjoyed. She found material she fell in love with and bought it right then and there as she would be sure to use it for something eventually. We've all done it, I know I have, either bought fabric I had no immediate use for but I just couldn't pass it up; or was given some fabric by friends or family that needed just the right pattern and other matching/contrasting material I don't have.

I guess she is smiling down upon us now laughing at how we are all speculating how sad it is to leave behind such treasures. I am sure she made magnificent things and now someone else will out of the items she didn't use.
    Evelyn
    That is really beautiful Evelyn! And inspiring! i do much the same thing with fabric. In fact my daughter just raided all my cupcake fabrics and a vintage apron pattern so she and her housemate can cook and entertain in style.

I really enjoyed a comment from one of our members here on the board.........it isn't "she who dies with the most fabric wins"but rather "she who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!" Kind of makes me sew a little faster!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    what is really sad are the prices she is charging for those books/patterns...yikes,,.

Blog Entries
    All I can say is I hope someone has as much fun as I do with what they get of mine when I am gone. But, since my DH sews, unless he goes when I do, he'll probably enjoy it for awhile. It is kinda sad though when you think about it.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I have my own stash. I have my mom's stash (and sewing machine, which was mine as a child) I have my aunt Fanny's stash. (and her pretty Singer in the besutiful cabinet) I have my sister's stash. Have used some of each of them, although the collection doesn't keep me from buying still more. Each reflects the personality of its owner. Now, who gets it all later? No one in the next generation sews or quilts.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    what is really sad are the prices she is charging for those books/patterns...yikes,,.
    I thought the same thing!!!

Blog Entries
    I guess I kind of look at my stash as a collection. If I collected thimbles, no one would say after I passed "how sad she had all those thimbles and didn't use them". Same as with my father. He collected and restored antique tractors and gas engines. He would fire one of them up every now and then, drive it around the property or down the road and then put it back into the pole barn. He would often spend a weekend out in the barn, just wiping them down just to make them shine. When he passed, all people said was how much dad had enjoyed his antique tractors. He couldn't take them with him and he didn't need as many as he had but they brought him much happiness when he was alive. It's not about what you leave behind. It's about enjoying the time that you have here on this earth.

It's really no different to leaving behind any of our other possessions when we die.

My sewing room is in my basement. I went to an estate sale yesterday. The girls grandmother was a quilter. She had fabric thrown in bins and was selling it by the bag. Made me wonder what will be done with my stuff and how much of a bother it will be to somebody. Hmmmm better get sewing and not buy so much fabric.
    Judy

I have more than I'll ever sew and I buy more and more. I love it. My daughter has taken an interest in sewing which makes me very happy, I have a gdaughter what at 4 loves to play in my scraps. She's found things that I've been looking for a long time. My machines, don't know what she'll do with them.

I agree with you-I collect "things" from where I have been and when I lived there. To others they are 'things' to me they are memories. When I am gone-I don't care! I hope my DH will either sell them or donate them to a good cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast