Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Doesn't anyone use proofreaders anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/doesnt-anyone-use-proofreaders-anymore-t268556.html)

ptquilts 08-09-2015 04:59 AM

Doesn't anyone use proofreaders anymore?

Headline on Yahoo home page

"Trump sews new conflict."

Who knew, he is one of us. I think they meant "sows" however. They should be embarrassed.

Tartan 08-09-2015 05:09 AM

:D ​the old auto correct strikes again and no one bothered to re-read it before printing.

nativetexan 08-09-2015 07:15 AM

yep, you gotta love idiots! sorry, Yes, you have to love idiots!

thimblebug6000 08-09-2015 07:22 AM

ptquilts, every time I read the newspaper I feel like taking a red felt pen and circling all the grammar errors and typos.... nice to know I'm not the only one. :D and I figured out how to shut off the auto correct on my ipad, it was just too annoying. Sometimes when I type I make a mistake and I'm okay with that; but for the machine to be telling me what I must be trying to say was a little too much.

ManiacQuilter2 08-09-2015 07:35 AM

Funny, I doubt if he even know how to thread a sewing machine.

tessagin 08-09-2015 07:48 AM

I ordered business cards. My last name only has 4 letters. I sent the cards back twice; I proofread twice. I know how to spell my last name. They got upset because I wouldn't accept an "s" at the end of my name. Went to another place and got a better deal and no hassle.
I too half to laugh when the local newspaper holds spelling bees and send the kids to nationals. I sent a letter to the paper and told them they really needed to have these kids proofread the newspaper. Obviously, their employees never were in a spelling bee or even had an inclination what it was. the least they could do was use autocorrect.

quiltin-nannie 08-09-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7281453)
I ordered business cards. My last name only has 4 letters. I sent the cards back twice; I proofread twice. I know how to spell my last name. They got upset because I wouldn't accept an "s" at the end of my name. Went to another place and got a better deal and no hassle.
I too half to laugh when the local newspaper holds spelling bees and send the kids to nationals. I sent a letter to the paper and told them they really needed to have these kids proofread the newspaper. Obviously, their employees never were in a spelling bee or even had an inclination what it was. the least they could do was use autocorrect.

LOL! "Half to laugh"? Or "have" to laugh?

Chasing Hawk 08-09-2015 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7281441)
Funny, I doubt if he even know how to thread a sewing machine.

Sure he does...he just yells at it and the machine threads itself. :)

OR

is that Chuck Norris who does that? :)

Onebyone 08-09-2015 02:50 PM

I prefer typos to bad formatting. I doubt no one under 30 knows how to indent or why or when.

M.Elizabeth 08-09-2015 03:40 PM

One of the grammatical errors that drives me crazy is the misuse of "brought". Ex: I brought my sewing machine to the shop. It should be "I took my machine to the shop." I, too, spot all the errors in the paper; even the large type headlines are not exempt. I did teach language arts for a hundred years and do know the rules!!!