Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Doesn't anyone use proofreaders anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/doesnt-anyone-use-proofreaders-anymore-t268556.html)

jitkaau 08-10-2015 03:54 AM

I think they rely too much on spell checkers without taking into account that correct spelling does not always equal correct grammar or lexical choice. I've seen a few good ones as well. Although sometimes it can be because the data import person has misheard the boss's dictation. One which I saw in a high - end catalogue was the phrase, "cups and sauces".

Jingle 08-10-2015 05:11 AM

What really gets me and my Daughter is misspelled words on outdoor signs. They really stand out.

carolynjo 08-10-2015 05:14 AM

The typos in our paper drive me crazy as an English teacher for more years than I care to remember. Part of the problem is that the writers depend on auto -correct rather than looking up words. Homonyms seem to give writers the worst time, and it is in AP articles as well as in our local papers. Perhaps they need to read more!

carolynjo 08-10-2015 05:16 AM

Another pet peeve of mine is the misuse of certain phrases: case in point: If I would have known, etc., rather than had I known. Oh, well, I guess it's a losing battle.

JoantheQuilter 08-10-2015 05:25 AM

Grammar

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7281248)
Headline on Yahoo home page

"Trump sews new conflict."

Who knew, he is one of us. I think they meant "sows" however. They should be embarrassed.

I am so happy to see that I am not the only one bothered by incorrect spelling or misuse of words. My pet peeve is "your" in place of "you're" or the bothersome "they're, their, there". Don't they teach this in school anymore? Our newspaper is notorious for using incorrect grammar and incorrect spelling. My husband says he is going to apply for a job as proofreader for our local paper. They could not afford him, I'm sure! ;-))

katybob 08-10-2015 05:31 AM

My pet peeve is the use of the apostrophe. "It's" means "it is". It doesn't mean anything else. There is no apostrophe in "its" when used in the possessive case.

purplefiend 08-10-2015 05:53 AM

I'm really tired of the overuse of the words: literally,virtually and sense. The other one is the mispronunciation of the planet Uranus.

quiltsRfun 08-10-2015 05:58 AM

Misuse of pronouns drives me crazy. Example: The gift was for Joe and I. The simple test is to take out the other person. You wouldn't say the gift was for I.

Another pet peeve is the use of an apostrophe for a plural. Banana's = something belongs to the banana. Bananas = more than one banana.

katybob 08-10-2015 06:11 AM

Oh, me, too, quiltsRfun! I forgot about that one.

maviskw 08-10-2015 06:38 AM

Love this thread! But are we preaching to the choir? The one we see here is boarder for border. One person posted that she should get all those boarders to help her with her borders. Did she get it? Doubt it.
I don't think the teachers even know this stuff anymore.
My pet peeve is the I or me thing. quiltsRfun has the right explanation. It is used incorrectly by a lot of paper editors.
I always read what I have written before I click on "Post", but sometimes things sneak through anyhow. (not anyways, LOL)