Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Doesn't anyone use proofreaders anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/doesnt-anyone-use-proofreaders-anymore-t268556.html)

katybob 08-10-2015 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 7282477)
There, their and there...

Cathy, did you mean "there, their and they're"?

PAMAR 08-10-2015 09:59 AM

Do they still teach diagramming of sentences in school? I still diagram in my head. I had a teacher who used to make it into a game - girls vs. boys. Guess that wouldn't fly nowadays.

caspharm 08-10-2015 10:02 AM

It has become so commonplace for people to spell check, but they do not check grammar. Therefore, the system the person is using may not catch the wrong word, because it is the "wright" word (spelled correctly, wrong usage) and since the system didn't flag it, the person's brain (if they are proofreading it) accepts it as the right word.

We have gotten lazy in teaching proper grammar and word usage. Sometimes, the wrong word will slip through, when texting a message or writing anything on a computer, because of spell check apps that are not grammar apps and a person hitting send without really reading what they typed.

quiltsRfun 08-10-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by PAMAR (Post 7282582)
Do they still teach diagramming of sentences in school? I still diagram in my head. I had a teacher who used to make it into a game - girls vs. boys. Guess that wouldn't fly nowadays.

I've often wondered the same thing. It's one of those things you wonder if you'll ever use when you're young but realize how important it is when you're older.

ptquilts 08-10-2015 12:29 PM

I still have trouble with who and whom. Got bring and take down pretty well, although I don't think about it much.

"Should I take the car in to the mechanic's?"

"Yes, he said 'Bring it in today.'"

sassysews2 08-10-2015 02:00 PM

My youngest son has five (5) Masters Degrees and he can't spell (as my mother would have said) sh** without adding 2 t's. lol

duckydo 08-10-2015 04:35 PM

Well one of my pet peeves is the overuse of the words amazing and awesome. I think there is lack of vocabulary. Just throwing in my two cents.

matraina 08-10-2015 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 7281429)
ptquilts, every time I read the newspaper I feel like taking a red felt pen and circling all the grammar errors and typos.... nice to know I'm not the only one. :D and I figured out how to shut off the auto correct on my ipad, it was just too annoying. Sometimes when I type I make a mistake and I'm okay with that; but for the machine to be telling me what I must be trying to say was a little too much.

Oh, I so agree with you. When I read the newspaper, the church bulletin, meeting minutes, etc., I keep wondering who, if anyone, proofread it. It bugs me, especially when a baseball announcer says "The score is tied 0 to 0." If it's 0 to 0, there is no score.

Seaside gal 08-10-2015 06:31 PM

advice, advise
me, myself, I
border, boarder

sparkys_mom 08-10-2015 06:39 PM

I suppose we all have our pet peeves. I hate seeing people use 'loose' when they mean 'lose'. Someone already mentioned the boarder vs border. I have a friend who constantly uses 'mute' when she really means 'moot'. I really have to bite my tongue not to correct her. The one that really drives me nuts, though, are emails that read along the lines of "How r u?" I understand text messages were once charged differently, but I think most have unlimited text and my phone provides auto-fill. I always feel like just deleting those messages with no response.

After saying all that, I recognize that I'm not the world's leading expert on spelling or grammar but it seems to me that some people don't even try. :(