Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Which dog to get (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-get-t73444.html)

seppert 11-01-2010 07:35 PM

Beagles and Bassett Hounds are great dogs. Gentle, loving temperament with kids, too. Short hair. As little or as much energy as you want them to have. Downside: will follow their nose anywhere so you will need to fence or tether them. Don't mistake their concentration on smelling as being stubborn. That is just the way they are.

Kas 11-01-2010 07:35 PM

We are partial to boxers. Very people oriented and easy to train. And great with kids, if you have them.

SaraSewing 11-01-2010 07:35 PM

try a cat!

mama4dylan 11-01-2010 08:00 PM

We got a 2 yr old lab mix from the shelter about 6 months ago. She was very shy. She was very thin and also had a skin condition. The shelter was reluctant to let us have her because we already had an older male Papillon. They told us we could exchange her if things didn't work out.
After about 1 week of working with her, she is the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever had. She is back to her normal weight and the skin condition disappeared.
Please give the shelter a try!

Dee 11-01-2010 08:43 PM

We have had labs and toy poodles and beagles. Toy poodles are great and the lab is the best if you have kids. Beagles are stuborn and hard to train. Our beagle would get bored being alone and chewed up anything her teeth touched. All breeds are loving if their brought up the right way. Even rotties, as we got them from a shelter. Good luck.

Farm Quilter 11-01-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
So - sounds like a dog I would like - big enough so that it isn't overly fragile, reasonably healthy, active enough to want to go on walks, but not hyper and knock you over or drag one down the path - interested in being companionable - ??

Sounds like a lab to me!

Kitsapquilter 11-01-2010 11:03 PM

IF and that is a big IF...I ever get another dog I would love to have a Corgi. I think they are so cute and his little short legs maybe I could keep up with it. I hear they are good family dogs, too.

twinkie 11-02-2010 02:05 AM

I love the temperment of the border collie. We had one and had to have her put to sleep at age 16. They are smart and loving animals. Sorry for your loss of your chow.

IngeMK 11-02-2010 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
try a cat!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

watterstide 11-02-2010 02:24 AM

to learn more about the breeds, i watch dogs 101 on tv. i have learned alot about the care,issues,what type of home they would do best in.
all of my dogs have been rescues. my rotty, was the best dog i ever had.
i have a JRT and a JRT/Beagle mix. would not recommend a JRT to anyone who is not home alot..they are high strung,seperation anxiety..but very smart,they shed,bark alot,but loving,and snuggle!
i think an older dog from a rescue is the best bet..

ask a vet you trust,what they would suggest!