Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Which dog to get (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dog-get-t73444.html)

Mamagus 11-03-2010 01:31 PM

I just have to say something about Shelties! My Finnigan is an active dog who loves to be outside running in his yard, but he loves to lie by the fire too.

And as for the fur? it is there in a bundance, all over the place! BUT he has needed TWO baths in his five years with us and smells like fresh air every day! I have a scnauzer that needs weekly baths and stinks by the second day! Fur I can vacuum... smell we have with us always!

fktsewing 11-04-2010 06:35 PM

please check your local shelters---they usually have older dogs that most do not want to adopt because they want a puppy--some are really good about helping you find the right one if you go talk with them and explain what you are looking for. Springer Spaniels are hunting dogs and like to walk and run. My brother in law has had 2 of them for hunting and I really think they had more energy than my terrier mix did at 6 months.

gypsyquilter 11-04-2010 06:47 PM

i adopted a german short hair pointer mix pup about a year ago from the lcoa rescue, he is the most lovable dog. as a pup he was high energy, but as they get older they slow down some - great for long walks and companionship. he's jus a bundle of love!

mayday 11-06-2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?

DON'T!!! springers are lovely but v v v active even when older; if you go the spaniel way think of cocker, but also cavalier king charles , these are all things to all men and in their thousands in rescues, they can walk little/lot BUT DO watch for MVD mitral valve disease as they get older AND syringomyelia which usually manifests itself before 2 ish , they are lovely easy dogs --------good luck

merridancer 11-06-2010 11:17 AM

Two of my dogs have come from petfinders.com. I love the foster parents letters from the dogs. That helped me pick them out and you can put in preference as to age, sex, and special needs.

They have dogs that are in "dog pounds" and rescue organizations. You can also put in your zip code to find pets close to you.

dryerlint 11-06-2010 01:30 PM

as i said before we adopted a dog from the humane society and we thought that she was just a heinz 57 we took her to the vet for her free checkup that the society gives out to your vet and we found out that she is a pretty rare breed of dog that hasnt been in our area in a very, very long time according to our vet she is a spumoni italiano. pretty fancy name for a pretty great dog have really gotten attached already and only have had her a week

grann of 6 11-06-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by dryerlint
as i said before we adopted a dog from the humane society and we thought that she was just a heinz 57 we took her to the vet for her free checkup that the society gives out to your vet and we found out that she is a pretty rare breed of dog that hasnt been in our area in a very, very long time according to our vet she is a spumoni italiano. pretty fancy name for a pretty great dog have really gotten attached already and only have had her a week

OOOOHHHHH!!!! I love them! They look so cool! If you watch the dog shows, they have them on there. I can't imagine anyone surrendering one of them. My Great Dane I adopted was from a puppy mill, had at least 4 litters of puppies in 4 years. She is a wonderful dog; pure bred but 2 different colors mixed together. She is a mother, pure and simple; mothers anything and everything she sees, children, stuffed animals, other dogs.

ediedarlene 11-24-2010 06:09 AM

I had a Corgi and he was wonderful, very smart, very loyal, very loving. Whether I sat on the couch, in the recliner or worked on my computer, he was always at my feet, snoozing but close enough to keep me company. He was very smart and so good with the kids. I have two Scottish terriers now and the female, Corky, is much the same as the Corgi, Biscuit was, very loyal and loving. She loves my kids but she is definately my dog. Both of these would be a good choice.

Woodster 11-24-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
Asking advice here. I can tell there are lots of dog lovers on this board. So here is my question. After losing our sweet Chow last year (he was 15 and we had had him since he was 6 weeks old), I am ready to get another dog. But which kind? I want a medium size dog -40 to 50 pounds tops - not terribly particular about the breed. Also I want an older dog - I figure he will have to put up with my age related aches and pains so I should be willing to put up with his. And besides I am not up to a puppy or very young dog's energy level. I have looked at the English springer spaniel rescue group and kind of like their looks. Any thoughts?

Having had one, I'd say keep looking. Spaniels have a tendency to become nasty. I never believed this until it happened to ours. He would literally visciously attack our Weimeraner who was the sweetest couch potato ever, and even went after my husband. We found a different home for that one. (the spaniel, not the husband).

We are totally in love with our Spinone, although he's bigger than what you're looking for (over 120).

The dog show is on Thursday after the parade - check it out and see who pulls at your heartstrings. Check out a book from the library and study the breeds you're thinking of - many of them have great details about temperment, size, needs, etc.

Woodster 11-24-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by dryerlint

YOU WILL LOVE YOUR DOG!!! I HAVE ONE! Spinone Italiano