Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Double Bed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/double-bed-t250285.html)

nativetexan 07-18-2014 05:55 AM

Oh gosh. I remember our first double bed. It was very old and sank in the middle. I had to hold onto the side of the mattress every night. I hated to touch someone when it was so hot! I have a King but if by myself, a double would be fine of course. No wonder some couples went to twin beds!!

lindaschipper 07-18-2014 06:05 AM

My 1st husband and I had a double bed....but that was back in 1972. He was 6'4" and 300 lbs. and I was 5'6" and about 100 lbs. My future husband (#3) and I will have a queen....wish it would be a king!! Double beds are good for a single person only!

Geri B 07-18-2014 06:11 AM

Shared a double with DH for 48 yrs...now that double is a single......spoon... you miss it when you can't .......

Bubbie 07-18-2014 07:18 AM

Second marriage for both of us. He had ONLY slept in a double bed, I had slept in double, queen and king beds when I was married to my first husband. When we married I had a double bed and NO pets. We moved out of state and got a queen sized bed and a cat. Now 11 years later we have a queen sized bed 3 dogs and half of the time I have to go to the living room, because they ALL hog the bed. LOL As for your quilt not being the size you want, think about adding another dust ruffle to the bed. I've used up to 3 at a time, I like them in different colors so they pick up the colors in the quilt on top. Good luck

P.low 07-18-2014 07:36 AM

When my husband and I got married in 1962 we slept in an antique 3/4 bed with no problem. We slept on a double bed at the cottage on a screened in porch. Then we got a Queen size and now even sleeping alone, my husband passed away 1 1/2 years ago, I prefer the Queen. I am working on a quilt for my sister who has a double bed and would like a King size Quilt. I am struggling to get it big enough. I would like to get it finished real soon!

AngeliaNR 07-18-2014 08:27 AM

Double here--no room for larger.

solstice3 07-18-2014 12:22 PM

I can manage for a short period of time. At home the queen is small with hubby and two cats

Snooze2978 07-18-2014 01:16 PM

I actually sleep in an antique double bed. Couldn't fit my queen bed set into the room once I had a walk-in closet built so my sister gave me her old bed set on wood wheels, 4-poster bed, make-up dresser with tilt mirror and bench. Since I sleep alone unless kitty decides to join me it fits the bill. I now have my queen bed set as the spare/guest room. I do find the double bed a little short for me though I'm only 5'5".

mldesatnik 07-18-2014 01:48 PM

We have slept in a double bed for 59 years. Whenever we travel and stay in a motel, they always give us a king size bed, but we always end up in the middle sleeping against each other. My husband says the best way for married couples to sleep is "sleep double in a single bed".

Bottle Laker 07-18-2014 02:47 PM

We have a queen but use a king size quilt turned side ways as I don't care for dust ruffles and with the dog pulling the covers down in the middle the king stiłl gives good coverage 😏