Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dumb things I've done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dumb-things-ive-done-t28964.html)

kd124 11-22-2009 11:03 AM

Yesterday was my biggest dumb thing involving quilting. Friday evening I loaded a quilt for my granddaughter onto the frame to quilt. I noticed the bobbin was still in the machine which means it hadn't been oiled after the last use. I pulled the machine to the side again, as I had it positioned to start when I noticed this, oiled the machine and left it for the night.

Saturday, I loaded the bobbin, positioned the machine and started to quilt. I got to the end of the first row, undid the strap on one side and then the other. The strap (a strip of fabric) on the last side didn't fall down. It was stitched to the back of the quilt!!! I didn't notice that when I moved the machine over it took the loose end of the strip with it and why would I, it's never happpened before! Good grief!!! Out go those stitches!

amma 11-22-2009 03:11 PM

I was making a table runner and binding for the first time. I realized I had sewn the binding onto the wrong side. I ripped out the stitches and resewed it....again to the wrong side...ripped it out again and after a few stitches, yep I had started it wrong again :roll: I almost gave up quilting at that point LMBO

Shemjo 11-22-2009 03:33 PM

When paper piecing, I have had to rip the same piece out three times because I kept sewing it down so it was wrong side up! First time, I was mildly upset; the second time, I was ticked off at myself, the third time, I got it ripped out,I was very upset. I did not try to resew it then. Waited until the next day, and nailed it!

amma 11-22-2009 04:43 PM

Hooray!!! for persistence!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wvdek 11-22-2009 05:19 PM

Last nite I was rotary cutting some quilting tubes. Should have been in bed, but, hey!

So, I place my hand around the handle, push down with the index finger, and push forward.

You guessed it- pushed right down on the blade as it was beginning to move and whamo-sliced my finger. Funny thing is, it didn't hurt as much as today when my needle got upsidedown doing some hexagons. Went into the pad on my middle finger. Ouchee! Man that hurt!

Mousie 11-22-2009 08:51 PM

My dumbest stuff doesn't happen in sew cave. It's either something I misconstrued as a child and have always thought, or it is something I do while driving :shock:
Once when hubby had to work on Easter, I thought, ok, kids love going to grandma's and just bc daddy has to work, no reason I can't drive them there, right?
Hubby always worried when I got behind the wheel and went more than 10 miles.
Ok, so I'm obeying all the traffic rules, speed limits, things are looking very familiar and we are making good time...and then I see the town's water tower, yup, with it's name on it...I was so pleased...until I realized...it was SIL's town, not inlaws!!!!
I had put my brain on autopilot and just went my merry way...to the wrong town. Didn't know how to get to inlaws from there, so had to call and 'confess', so they could give me directions.
The only phone booth I could find was at some out of the way place, and we saw a limo drive up and a hooker get out. Man, I couldn't wait to get where I was going! :shock: