Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Elm Creek" books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/elm-creek-books-t173503.html)

Silver Shrew 12-30-2011 06:52 AM

I have not liked the last couple of Elm Creek books. I think Jennifer is running out of material to write about. I probably will not spend money on the next one.

stichinluvr 12-30-2011 08:40 AM

I'm not enjoying the Union Quilters. It's been a battle to continue reading, but since it's the hardback I'm still at it - between other books.

Edie 12-30-2011 09:26 AM

You'll love it, but be prepared to go back and forth in the story. It all comes together and is just a great story. Edie

KyKaren1949 12-30-2011 09:42 AM

I have enjoyed most of the series, but the Aloha Quilt was terrible! Boring from the get go. I haven't read any more of Chiaverini's since then. Maybe she needs to start anew with a fresh setting and characters for a different story. Sometimes you just get stale.

Jere 12-30-2011 09:53 AM

Books

Originally Posted by raptureready (Post 4818622)
I'm sure some of you other quilters out there read these books so here's my question: Did I miss something? I just read Aloha Quilt and I'll admit that I had to force myself to finish it to see if it got any better. By the time I got to the end I thought that if I read the phrase E.C.Q. (you know what that means) again that I would be physically ill. Are they all like that? Perhaps it's just me but I don't like repetitive phrasing or the over-use of "hot" words. Like the over-use of the word "embedded" during the first Gulf war. I must say that the story line was okay and I loved reading about some of the history of Hawaiian quilts but......

In general I find the first few books written in a series are great and then they fall off. The Jean Auel books come to mind. The first 2 were great but the next one wasn't as good.

Nell Dwyer 12-30-2011 01:01 PM

The new one by this author is the Wedding Quilt-I've checked it out, and my opinion is-You don't skip 25 years in a series and get away with it, as a reader of all Jennifer's books I find this one tooooo expensive at $25.00 at this time and will wait for it to go on sale, or printed in paperback before I buy it cheaper-Marie Bostwick publishes a series of quilt books, which I have bought and seriously love-new one of hers to come out in May she tells me-Nell

Valerie Scherr 12-30-2011 08:06 PM

I have read all of Jennifers books and the only two that I didn't like was Union Quilters way to much Americian history for me...half the places I would never know being Canadian and the Last book Wedding quilts she missed all the adventures she could have had with the kids growing up...maybe she will get back to it...
I also love Marie Bostwick books prefer her paperbacks at a lower price and a very good read too...

Grandma Mary 12-30-2011 08:55 PM

I have read all of her books except for the latest one (The Wedding). Out of all the books I think the Aloha Quilt was the one I found to be hard to finish...and I didn't like the Union Quilters. I was very bored. I suggest you start at the very beginning of the series...I think it's The Quilter's Apprentice. This will help you meet the main characters right from the very beginning, and you might find that you DO enjoy them. Good luck!

oreoflurrie 01-02-2012 04:52 PM

My absolute favorite was The Lost Quilter, in fact I think I'll read it again! I also loved the Sugar Camp Quilt.

Buzzy Bee 01-02-2012 08:19 PM

I have 10 of her books and love them....can't wait to get the rest of the series....