Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "Elm Creek" books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/elm-creek-books-t173503.html)

MadQuilter 01-02-2012 11:34 PM

I can't get into these books. The story lines are OK but they tend to fizzle. I feel rather luke warm about the characters.

romanojg 01-03-2012 06:21 AM

I started reading them from book 1 which is how I do all books that are in a series and I've loved each book. They keep you coming back for the next one because you want to know more about what happens; in the past and the future. I think that I've read about 13 of them so far and will order another on in the next few weeks. If you go to her web site you can acutally see all of the quilts she mentions in her books which I really like. I started reading them when I first got back into quilting so being able to go up and see what a certain block looked like was great.

raptureready 01-03-2012 06:37 AM

I thank all of you for your comments. Now I have to decide if I want to take the time (and money) to start at the beginning. It's that constant mention of "Elm Creek Quilters" that just makes me want to barf. No, I think I'll just pass on this series. I just can't imagine reading a whole series of books with that group mentioned 50 times per book.

countryone77 01-09-2012 07:30 AM

Your tax dollars may have already paid for them -- check your public library system. An extra benefit is that you won't need more book shelves :-). I have our central library send a copy to my local branch.

CorneliaAnn 01-09-2012 09:00 AM

I am with most of you about the books; lukewarm reception here. BUT I LOVE the fabric line: Elm Creek Quilts: Caroline's Collection by Jennifer Chiaverni. The quilt "Caroline's Chain" is featured in Jan/Feb 2012 issue of Love of Quiling. I've wanted the perfect quilt for a niece of mine and I think this is it.

Lisanne 01-09-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JeannieT (Post 4821095)
The one I couldn't get into was the Union Quilters.....boring......

Oh, I so don't agree! It wasn't as much about the quilters. There was a lot more about the Civil War, and it made me think that Jennifer could move on to a much wider readership with more historical novels like that one. She was wonderful with the earlier historical books, too, The Sugar Camp Quilt and The Lost Quilter.

I'd almost say they were my favorites, except she did such a wonderful job on most of the contemporary stories, too, showing things from multiple characters' perspectives and intertwining the plot lines so well. I really can't pick a favorite, though The Sugar Camp Quilt and the one about the first season of quilt camp would top the list.

michelehuston 01-09-2012 11:03 AM

I also love the series, but agree that some are better than others! Aloha quilt I could not seem to get into, and received the wedding quilt, but not ead it yet. I like to read them in order so that I can get a feel for the author and learn about the characters. I have laughed and cried in them..they are my "I need to relax and unwind to an easy read book.'

40MPHK9 03-16-2012 11:13 AM

I read the first few books in this series a long time ago (back when they were first being published) when I was first learning how to piece. It really made me want to learn more, and in fact, I bought the same 'how to' book that the author made her first quilt [wall hanging] from, and I made it--and all these years later finally got it quilted and hung up!

Now I am re-reading them, borrowing them from the library. I have just finished the second one, which I found very good (Round Robin). Good to know about the 'slow' books--now I won't feel guilty if I don't finish them when it's their turn!

I, too, like them because they are 'light' reading, but also interesting. At least the first few are.

nivosum 03-16-2012 02:54 PM

Her later books have too much back and forth history, so I don't read her anymore. I love the Miss Julia series by Ann Ross.

mummadee 07-05-2012 09:44 PM

I loved the earlier ones and have read them all. They started to run out of steam around the Wedding Quilt and the Aloha quilt. Maybe this storyline is done and she needs to begin another.