Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   FIRE!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fire-t125536.html)

tedytrser 05-25-2011 09:01 AM

Glad your safe!!!!!

showmehow 09-06-2011 03:37 PM

The Bastrop fire is huge, the one in grimes and montgomery counties are large also, Im know several people have lost all they own. Going to start getting my donations together and bring them this Saturday to a collection station in Hallettsville. Its a sad time for many and very scary. Its so dry here, no rain in days and what little we had was sucked up by the 111 degree temps and high winds. Thank goodness the temps are cooling down and the winds have decreased. Praying for the families without homes, and those in danger of losing theirs, fire fighters and first responders.

dublb 09-06-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by showmehow
The Bastrop fire is huge, the one in grimes and montgomery counties are large also, Im know several people have lost all they own. Going to start getting my donations together and bring them this Saturday to a collection station in Hallettsville. Its a sad time for many and very scary. Its so dry here, no rain in days and what little we had was sucked up by the 111 degree temps and high winds. Thank goodness the temps are cooling down and the winds have decreased. Praying for the families without homes, and those in danger of losing theirs, fire fighters and first responders.

I agree we all need to be praying for all those that have lost their homes & belongings or those in danger of losing theirs. Fire fighters and first responders are sure in need of our prayers also. The fire that came close to my house was small compared to these other fires. Every thing is so very dry. I'm also praying for rain.

vjjo743 09-06-2011 04:24 PM

I know what you mean, I live in east Texas, there are fires all around. I was wondering what to take, of course, pictures, but would I take patterns, UFOs, machines, if I had time.

It is really scary right now in the midst of wildfires. I have been able to see the smoke from my back deck.

We have not had to evacuate yet, but others close by have had to leave home.

PS My doxies are right with us before any material possesion. By the way, does spelling count?

dublb 09-06-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by vjjo743
I know what you mean, I live in east Texas, there are fires all around. I was wondering what to take, of course, pictures, but would I take patterns, UFOs, machines, if I had time.

It is really scary right now in the midst of wildfires. I have been able to see the smoke from my back deck.

We have not had to evacuate yet, but others close by have had to leave home.

PS My doxies are right with us before any material possesion. By the way, does spelling count?

My prayers are with you.

The things that I forgot to pack (in the heat of the moment) were my medications, a change of clothes, & My Grandmothers quilt (can you believe it?) What I packed: My jewelry, My DMIL's jewelry, Both Dogs & Both cats, The computers, & Pictures on the walls. My DH packed the most expensive guns. He got home after I had already packed the other things.

Take a breath & think it through. Be ready before the time comes so you know what you are going to take.

showmehow 09-06-2011 05:50 PM

Was thinking about what Id take. I know my lap top, its got my photos. My meds, some clothes, Personal papers, luckily I actually know where those are. My phone. Purse, my dogs. I better grab my DH's guns he would miss those. Theres lots of stuff Id like to take but would leave behind if I had to.

Yosamitesa 09-06-2011 05:59 PM

So glad y'all are safe. If y'all need a safe house, let me know. I'm down in Houston!!! Hugs and praying for Texas to get a lot of rain here soon!!! Also praying for those poor firefighters out there trying to contain the fire. When will Texas get some much needed help?

amandasgramma 09-06-2011 06:05 PM

That's scary, isn't it! Now -- go in and pack a suitcase with clothes and meds ---- then you'll be prepared if they evacuate you again!!!

Born2Sew 09-06-2011 06:07 PM

So thankful you were able to return home, your family and belongings safe. We live north of Possum Kingdom lake, thus we had smoke all around us here. Last April when they had the big fire there, we thought we might have to evacuate so I went to work thinking about that to do. It comes as such a shock sometimes there is little time to think. Sometimes it comes on so fast all you can do is leave immediately! The fires this time from PK have had 150 ft flames. I've seen more fires in the past 2-3 years that I care to. Anyway, I grabbed mine and hubby's meds. Told my Mom who lives with us to gather her meds, pack a few clothes, and whatever she thought she couldn't live without. I grabbed my Bible, my flash drive with my stuff backed up on it, photos, and a couple of changes of clothes.
I stuffed anything that would fit into the gun safe.

I even loaded up some of it ahead of time, just in case we had little notice. Especially since I have my Mom, and an semi invalid uncle living here. But though I thought I had my bases pretty well covered considering everything, I forgot about my great grandmother's quilt!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God we never had to evacuate and we were spared. But many folks weren't and lost so much.

We've been praying and praying for rain. Things are going to get desparate soon, I fear.

dublb 09-06-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
So thankful you were able to return home, your family and belongings safe. We live north of Possum Kingdom lake, thus we had smoke all around us here. Last April when they had the big fire there, we thought we might have to evacuate so I went to work thinking about that to do. It comes as such a shock sometimes there is little time to think. Sometimes it comes on so fast all you can do is leave immediately! The fires this time from PK have had 150 ft flames. I've seen more fires in the past 2-3 years that I care to. Anyway, I grabbed mine and hubby's meds. Told my Mom who lives with us to gather her meds, pack a few clothes, and whatever she thought she couldn't live without. I grabbed my Bible, my flash drive with my stuff backed up on it, photos, and a couple of changes of clothes.
I stuffed anything that would fit into the gun safe.

I even loaded up some of it ahead of time, just in case we had little notice. Especially since I have my Mom, and an semi invalid uncle living here. But though I thought I had my bases pretty well covered considering everything, I forgot about my great grandmother's quilt!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God we never had to evacuate and we were spared. But many folks weren't and lost so much.

We've been praying and praying for rain. Things are going to get desparate soon, I fear.

Can you believe we both forgot our grandmother's quilts? I've got to get a gun safe!!! I'm so glad your safe! :thumbup: