Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   First Son Getting Married Friday.... etiquette question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/first-son-getting-married-friday-etiquette-question-t264580.html)

baronreads 04-28-2015 07:09 AM

First Son Getting Married Friday.... etiquette question

If you've have married children, did you buy them a wedding "gift"? Over and above what you paid for at the wedding? I can't decide if/what we should do about a gift. Thanks!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8b0481f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

sandybeach 04-28-2015 07:28 AM

My son and future daughter-in-law had purchased a house about a year before their wedding and I bought them a washer and dryer for the house. I then purchased the four suits for the men in the wedding party (including the groom). And I gave the bride a pearl necklace that she had liked that I got for my wedding from his Dad. But I don't remember buying an actual "gift". The wedding was a small one and the couple paid for it themselves.

Jeanne S 04-28-2015 08:02 AM

I have two daughters and paid for both weddings, AND wedding gifts. We gave the first daughter her new bedroom furniture, and the second daughter a sizable check. Although I don't think it is mandatory, it is certainly customary in our part of the world to give wedding gifts to our children, separate and above from the wedding expenses. Both grooms' parents also gave significant wedding gifts to the couple, separate from the rehearsal dinners and honeymoons.

Jingle 04-28-2015 09:39 AM

My kids just got married, never had to buy or pay for anything.

Irishrose2 04-28-2015 09:40 AM

Four daughters and one son and, yes, gifts for all of them. Most of them it was a good set of pots and pans.

ManiacQuilter2 04-28-2015 10:41 AM

It depends on what you can afford. You can always make a quilt or maybe a table runner. I made a table runner for a friend's daughter wedding. I know her daughter appreciates hand made items.

lynnie 04-28-2015 12:39 PM

When I married my dh, his parents gave us a very sizeable ck that paid for the honeymoon all wedding expenses and had some left over. My mom gave me a smaller ck, what one would give as a gift to any wedding they went to. For some reason, my mother never acknowledged my husband, and to this day does not. Don't know why, coz he's the best guy in town!! Maybe she's jealous he's so good to me.

Kimkankwilt 04-28-2015 01:01 PM

My son is getting married in June and they're getting $$$$ for the honeymoon.

baronreads 04-28-2015 02:09 PM

When we decided on a rehearsal dinner budget, we gave extra money which I think they used on the honeymoon. We've also helped with incidentals. I think we've decided to give them plane tickets to visit our vacation home. They're very hard to buy for, they buy what they need/want and just prefer cash. I hate giving cash for every occasion. It's not like they need ​it, I'd rather contribute to something specific. That's just me though!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/8b0481f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

tessagin 04-28-2015 03:07 PM

My boys paid for both but didn't have large weddings. We gave each of them money. The one had a destination wedding. The other had a small reception. We had 2 week notices for each. I got the best gifts. 4 beautiful DGDs.