Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fl-members-why-do-fl-homes-have-doors-open-outward-t126774.html)

watterstide 05-31-2011 04:32 AM

ok here is question..my son and daughter live in texas..why don't that have screens doors on the front? it drives me crazy,when i can't open the door, and let a breeze run through the house.!
(ok, so you don't have alot of months that have actul breezes!) :roll:

psychonurse 05-31-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I'd lived in Florida most of my life until moving to Alabama last year, and all my front doors that I remember opened in and the screen doors opened out. Yes, hurricane season starts Wed, June 1. Won't miss being in Pensacola for that.

I lived in Fl most of my life til moving to Bama 8 yrs ago.
We might be related. LOL

mjsylvstr 05-31-2011 04:41 AM

our door in Florida opens in.......sure hope the winds are going in the opposite direction !!!!!

Kayaker26 05-31-2011 04:52 AM

Ok I'm from Miami, the reason older houses open in were screen doors not gators, after years of hurricane research and building code updates...all doors should open out. Matter of fact if you try to replace your doors you can not find ones "prehung" that open in!

GlitzyMe 05-31-2011 05:31 AM

I live in central Florida. My front door opens in. The door on the driveway side of the house opens outward (this is off the laundryroom). We replaced sliding doors to the lanai with double french doors and I purposely have them open outward for a more open effect in the kitchen. Every one of these doors has hidden hinges when they are closed. Aligators are certainly capable of pushing a door but they prefer pet doors. I prefer to be doormom for Bryn and Maui than have a pet door :)
Hmm....now that I think about it, our home in NH had an inward opening front door but the back door opened outward from the kitchen to a mudroom.

fayzer 05-31-2011 05:33 AM

I live in Florida and my doors open inward. I don't like doors that open outward, but it does make sense for them to be that way here with the hurricanes. A policeman once told me that doors that open outward cannot be kicked in by thieves or police and were therefore safer.

Hobbyhorse1027 05-31-2011 06:14 AM

I had an inward opening door at my house. When I replaced the door after a couple of hurricanes I had to install an outward opening door. The building codes had changed. The code enforcement department said they were safer during hurricanes.

patsyo56721 05-31-2011 06:54 AM

Janet M I was born raised in Florida and I really couldn't tell you. I agree it is easier to blow a door in than out in a hurricane. Also you do not lose wall space with it opening out.

cinnya 05-31-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by boxerlady
To sweep the sand out the door? after you push the alligator out!

LOLOL

MaggieLou 05-31-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
if it opens outward that means the hinges are on the outside. maybe they have no crime there....

Surely you jest. :) One of the reasons we moved from Fl after 50 yrs. was the crime. All the doors opened inward where we lived. Never saw one that opened out.