Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   FL members..why do FL homes have doors that open outward (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fl-members-why-do-fl-homes-have-doors-open-outward-t126774.html)

sewmuchlove 05-31-2011 08:21 AM

I lived in South Florida for many years and it is required by the building code that all exit doors open outwards. Hurricane winds create a vacuum in the house and an inward door will not open during hurricane strong winds. Of course, you should not be in the house when the hurricane arrives but a lot of folks do stay particularly if the evacuation shelters do not allow pets.

Mornigstar 05-31-2011 08:41 AM

When I first lived winters in Fl --was told the doors up north opened out " so you could push the snow away " when you opened it to let your friends come in .
Seemed true to me who lives in the north. HA HA!!!

Our mobile home doors open out and yes I hope there is NO hurricanes.

noveltyjunkie 05-31-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen

Originally Posted by jbud2
But why don't ALL the doors on the stalls in all the ladies room open OUT? The handicap ones open out - why not all of them?

Now that is a good question! Some are so small you have to stand on the comode to close the door!!!!

Oh, this bugs me so much that I asked an architect, who told me it was to prevent people from being barricaded in to a stall.

dhanke 05-31-2011 08:50 AM

Yep, that's the reason. When you go to visit in Florida make sure to stand back from the door or you'll get whacked!

Originally Posted by MTS
Hurricanes. It's harder to blow "in" if it opens out (so it's stronger).

And I believe Wednesday is the beginning of the 2011 hurricane season. With the way the weather has been in the rest of the country so far this year.......YIKES!!!!

quilterguy27 05-31-2011 09:15 AM

OK, so what about the hinge situation? If the door opens OUT then the hinges are on the outside and can therefore be removed. I'm curious about this now.

RitaFaye 05-31-2011 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a florida home. my door opens inward......I think you can tell from the photo that is so from the door frame........ I live in a big subdivsion and they all open that way......Rita

KarenBarnes 05-31-2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I'd lived in Florida most of my life until moving to Alabama last year, and all my front doors that I remember opened in and the screen doors opened out. Yes, hurricane season starts Wed, June 1. Won't miss being in Pensacola for that.

I really didn't need to hear that Pensacola is a bad spot! My Navy son and his family live there! He has school for another year! I so am loving Oregon more and more! It's much safer here!

flawhoopi 05-31-2011 11:11 AM

I live in Florida, all my doors open out, but they are double bolted, so even if you remove the hinges you can't remove the door.
And if the hurricane is a big one, even the double bolts won't make any difference. And I don't have any insurance.
so that make hurricane season really scarrrrry

grammiepamie 05-31-2011 11:28 AM

My doors open in!!!!!!

bkayw 05-31-2011 12:04 PM

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and mine open out. Wind and fire codes are the reason.