Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Flat Rate Envelopes Denied! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/flat-rate-envelopes-denied-t96232.html)

butterflywing 02-06-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I just mailed a quarter yard in a smallish envelope Friday.Connie in CO

i mailed 4-1/4 yards in their FR envelope last week. it was very bulgy. too bad! 'if it fits, it ships' was their idea, not mine.

Connie in CO 02-06-2011 11:24 AM

It's kind of nice to know these things.Connie in CO

ljfox 02-06-2011 03:57 PM

I have heard that even if your PO or the machine accepts them, some chooch on the other end might try to collect postage due from the recipient. Brilliant.[/quote]

Just to let you know, the Post Office has a policy that if your item is accepted by a clerk at the counter of the post office and they put a PVI (the pink and white postage label) on it for the postage, then they are not allowed to collect postage due at the other end if that post office doesn't like how much you have in the package. So if your flat rate is bulging and a clerk accepts it and sends it out, the recipients post office cannot charge more postage. The rule isn't valid if you use online postage and stamps though.

frugalfabrics 02-06-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ljfox
I have heard that even if your PO or the machine accepts them, some chooch on the other end might try to collect postage due from the recipient. Brilliant.

Just to let you know, the Post Office has a policy that if your item is accepted by a clerk at the counter of the post office and they put a PVI (the pink and white postage label) on it for the postage, then they are not allowed to collect postage due at the other end if that post office doesn't like how much you have in the package. So if your flat rate is bulging and a clerk accepts it and sends it out, the recipients post office cannot charge more postage. The rule isn't valid if you use online postage and stamps though.[/quote]

Where is this listed at? I have not heard of that rule...but it's good to know.

luvTooQuilt 02-06-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics

I have heard that even if your PO or the machine accepts them, some chooch on the other end might try to collect postage due from the recipient. Brilliant.

Just to let you know, the Post Office has a policy that if your item is accepted by a clerk at the counter of the post office and they put a PVI (the pink and white postage label) on it for the postage, then they are not allowed to collect postage due at the other end if that post office doesn't like how much you have in the package. So if your flat rate is bulging and a clerk accepts it and sends it out, the recipients post office cannot charge more postage. The rule isn't valid if you use online postage and stamps though.

Where is this listed at? I have not heard of that rule...but it's good to know.[/quote]

well that just stinks!!! we have a dinky PO and they don't have a PVI machine.. She uses postage stamps..

ljfox 02-07-2011 03:33 PM

Just to let you know, the Post Office has a policy that if your item is accepted by a clerk at the counter of the post office and they put a PVI (the pink and white postage label) on it for the postage, then they are not allowed to collect postage due at the other end if that post office doesn't like how much you have in the package. So if your flat rate is bulging and a clerk accepts it and sends it out, the recipients post office cannot charge more postage. The rule isn't valid if you use online postage and stamps though.[/quote]

Where is this listed at? I have not heard of that rule...but it's good to know.[/quote]

well that just stinks!!! we have a dinky PO and they don't have a PVI machine.. She uses postage stamps..[/quote]

I will look up the official wording for you guys and even dinky offices have some kind of meter they can use for anything over 13oz. Have her put one of those labels on it and you should be good!

MTS 02-07-2011 03:37 PM

well that just stinks!!! we have a dinky PO and they don't have a PVI machine.. She uses postage stamps..

I'm sorry, but what podunk ;-) town is that?

How does she figure out how much a package costs to send to another zone? How does she even know what the zones are? Or country codes for international? Is looking up everything in tables?

She doesn't work with a computer terminal? I've been in small towns but I've never heard of a postmaster recently without a computer hook-up.

frugalfabrics 02-07-2011 04:11 PM

Well, all my puffy packages that were mailed out this past Thursday, made it to their destinations! Woo Hoo.

ptquilts 02-07-2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTS

I'm sorry, but what podunk ;-) town is that?

How does she figure out how much a package costs to send to another zone? How does she even know what the zones are? Or country codes for international? Is looking up everything in tables?

She doesn't work with a computer terminal? I've been in small towns but I've never heard of a postmaster recently without a computer hook-up.

we have a PO like that too - they have a scale to weigh it and technically they have a postage meter but they would rather use stamps, meter paper costs money, lol!!

Annz 02-07-2011 07:20 PM

bummer.