Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   That was fun - - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fun-t305435.html)

jarenie 06-26-2019 10:49 AM

When I get a strange call I answer it with 'Hi! your on the air. What is your question?' They always hang up every time.

ube quilting 06-26-2019 03:37 PM

Say 'Hello, you're on the air".

Jarenie, we think alike, Haha.

nightquilter 06-26-2019 07:59 PM

I love to mess with these callers.( I know its not cool but....) Love the car warranty one, I acted totally crazy with one caller, asking which car had a lapsed warranty. So upset I had a car going to need work with no warranty, pretending to cry, beside myself. When all was said and done that man ask if he could take my name off his to call list. My husband said, ''well played''

Dakota Rose 06-27-2019 04:12 AM

When I get the grandchild one I ask which one because I have so many and they hang up because they don't have a name.

SusieQOH 06-27-2019 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 (Post 8270056)
My granddaughter called after an accident. She had a broken nose so she didn't sound like herself.

Not only do I not have grandchildren, but my granddaughter had an Indian accent.

Her brother called me a few weeks later - same accident. Too funny.

Same thing with my Mom- her "grandson", my son, called with a broken nose.............. but he was in jail!!! :D
I have to say though that it really rattled her. Thank goodness she realized after a bit that it was phony. But if she had dementia or something it could have been different.
My son closed his FB account after that because the caller had his name.

Cindy60545 06-27-2019 04:55 AM

I got one the other day that his english was so was terrible that I told him to press 1 for english & then hung up on him. He didn't call back after that.

toverly 06-27-2019 05:07 AM

I love the one where they want to help me with my federal student loan. Really? I'm 57. Yesterday, there was one where he wanted to offer me a job. I laughed and said no. Last week there was one where my cell phone was calling my cell phone. Interesting. If I had picked up would it have been busy? Our police department has actually said, if you don't recognize the number or if it doesn't come up in your contacts, don't answer. Also, to contact your carrier to ban out of country calls. If you don't make them. So many senior citizens are getting scammed.

bearisgray 06-27-2019 05:15 AM

I think that almost any age group can be vulnerable to phishing and scamming phone calls, e-mails, donation requests, etc.

leonf 06-27-2019 06:49 AM

Somewhere I read that as we age something in our brain changes and makes us more vulnerable to scams. But yes, there are some people who are just too trusting. Scammers can mimic any number they want to to try to make it feel like a "safe"call. No such thing as a safe call anymore.

MaggieLou 06-27-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8269789)
Have never heard of "can you hear me?" calls ....

Please explain, so I know what is yet to come ............. *sigh*

They're trying to get you to say "yes" so they can use your response. If they ask if I'm "Margaret" is just respond with "speaking", that is, if I answer the call at all. They can't use that response for anything.