Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fundraising for College? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fundraising-college-t40453.html)

memathomas 03-24-2010 03:40 AM

no your on a roll !!!!!

at some point she will need a stash of shirts different sizes if she stars this or likes the idea she will need practice shirts and then the good ones maybe we can all start sending her some shirts to practice on and old jeans for the purses or start thinking about helping with supplies

STAR 03-24-2010 06:01 AM

make quilted notebook covers or pencil bags using more modern patterns and colors. tote bags, laptop cases, you can get these patterns at the stores look through those huge pattern books for them, oh and cel phone cases

STAR 03-24-2010 06:03 AM

now you are giving me ideas! I also am in college, not private, but as a parent money is tight and I will eventually have to pay back all these loans :shock:

Alu_Rathbone 03-24-2010 08:58 AM

I was thinking about getting notebooks and pens and pencils over the summer that would be available for buying... Those are ways to make money on campus... I need ways to make money before I get to campus! lol but THOSE are GREAT ideas!

Rebecca VLQ 03-24-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I was thinking about getting notebooks and pens and pencils over the summer that would be available for buying... Those are ways to make money on campus... I need ways to make money before I get to campus! lol but THOSE are GREAT ideas!

I'd say invest in a few very well-made notebooks (like with a spine, bound books) and do your thing with them, quilt them, whatever....PUT THEM ON ETSY because us sappy moms with kids going to college will buy all sorts of crazy things to tell them we love them on their way to college. True story.

minnow895 03-24-2010 10:48 AM

have you applied for pell grants they pay for most of the cost for classes and books there is also usualy some left over that is for living expensies your school would help you applie for them

Alu_Rathbone 03-24-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by minnow895
have you applied for pell grants they pay for most of the cost for classes and books there is also usualy some left over that is for living expensies your school would help you applie for them

Yes I have! And I got that!

Knot Sew 03-24-2010 11:00 AM

Each state has colleges..some are through the state and are cheaper for the residents of that state...NY has a large assortment of schools, it just means you have to stay closer to home . Did you check out the colleges in your state. My grandaughter is spending 5,000 for a SUNY school for a year....what is the name of this school you want to go to

STAR 03-24-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone

do you live on a block with a bunch of little kids in the area?? sell candy over the summer, buy bigger pkgs from like sams or walmart, bulk size, and sell them like 50cents, etc. or popsicles.

Lisanne 03-24-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
Each state has colleges..some are through the state and are cheaper for the residents of that state...NY has a large assortment of schools, it just means you have to stay closer to home . Did you check out the colleges in your state. My grandaughter is spending 5,000 for a SUNY school for a year....what is the name of this school you want to go to

Sorry, but I don't think switching to a less expensive school is the answer. No need to compromise your education, and education is more than just classes, it's campus life and values, too.