Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Be good to yourself...! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/good-yourself-t69688.html)

marthe brault-hunt 10-14-2010 05:50 PM

Can you accept a compliment without giving excuses. Lots of women cannot take congratulations. My late husband would tell me just say thank you. If 99.9% of your work is O.K, why mention that little defect. Even Ivory soap was only 99% pure and it is selling well .

crankygran 10-14-2010 06:06 PM

How to get confidence? First you fake it and eventually it becomes habit.

madamekelly 10-14-2010 06:52 PM

Has any of you heard the old BS about girls not being good at math? That is what keeps me quilting, just to prove "EXPERTS" wrong! There is not a quilter out there that does not use geometry, daily! "If you can use geometry, you can rule the world!" (Direct quote from my geometry teacher in high school.)

IBQUILTIN 10-14-2010 09:44 PM

Some things I can do because they need to be done, some things I can do because I want to do them, and some things I can learn to do because I am capable of learning. And I thank God for these things every day

lab fairy 10-14-2010 10:35 PM

I have no problem making fun of myself because...why not? My children do it often. I'm a classic nerd with labcoat and goggles. My self esteem is very healthy, my intelligence has never been in question, and there are many things I can NOT do (walk a tightrope, sit through really LONG meetings with nothing to do). The only time I'm really bummed is when the computer eats something important that I forgot to backup.

I decided to get in touch with the right side of my brain (I'm very left-brain and linear) and make a quilt. In this process I discovered that I am "color challenged" and heavily patterned designs make it harder. Once I figured that out things improved because I developed strategies to overcome that. I make fun of my mistakes all the time because they are really funny. I can resew the same seam three times, not notice stripes are in the wrong direction, etc. and never notice until later. Goofy, yes, laugh worthy, you bet.

Nothing is a failure if you learn from mistakes (in engineering this is called a good failure), share a giggle and a smile, eat some chocolate... Sometimes I see bark and not the tree. Not always a bad thing just differently challenged I guess.

Psychomomquilter 10-15-2010 03:07 AM

thanks Kellum46!that sure makes me feel better about me and math!

Selm; I learned that also," I am".... and so on look in the mirror and say it, if you can't say anything good about anyone(me??) don't say anything at all! and the can't underlined.

Psychomomquilter 10-15-2010 03:15 AM

someone else said something about math,I do know why I have had a hard time in math, when I was growing up, my dad always called me stupid and all the negative words when I did the math, so I have a "block: there for math, anyway the other thing, in the era I was growing up, theres a place for girls, and they weren't to cross the line, the stay at home moms(and please I am not putting you dowen "home moms!)but that was the culture I was raised in, and y'know my brother was a wiz at math(still is), weird! so I let the others do the math, now English thats another story, I am very good in that . I even tried to write some stories. which thats another story, and the ones that hate math?? they are good in English

Cookie64 10-15-2010 06:23 AM

I have learned a lot just being on here, thanks ladies.

Cookie

BrendaB 10-15-2010 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Kate, good thing to remember. I am very guilty of this, lately, with trying to get a decent job. I CANT go back to school because, you know, wont pass math, BLAH, BLAH. I need confidence, and I NEED to remember this.
How does one get confidence, if ANYONE knows, please tell me?!!!
Ah, I am rambleing, firstcup of coffee, lol!

CarrieAnne, try replacing every negative thought with a positive one, like:

I went to school before, and I can do it again. It will be more fun since I can do it because I want to and not because I have to.

I use math every day. I just need to review what I have already learned.

I'm going to find a great job. I am valuable and have plenty to offer.

You have found jobs before. You will find one again. Maybe you can approach it like this: You are interviewing THEM to decide if THEY are good enough for you to want to work for them (whoever "them" is).

I hope this makes sense. I have had to battle though all these things myself. I have learned that I am much more likely to succeed when I believe in myself. Hope this helps. Big Hugs to you.

BrendaB 10-15-2010 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I have no problem making fun of myself because...why not? My children do it often. I'm a classic nerd with labcoat and goggles. My self esteem is very healthy, my intelligence has never been in question, and there are many things I can NOT do (walk a tightrope, sit through really LONG meetings with nothing to do). The only time I'm really bummed is when the computer eats something important that I forgot to backup.

I decided to get in touch with the right side of my brain (I'm very left-brain and linear) and make a quilt. In this process I discovered that I am "color challenged" and heavily patterned designs make it harder. Once I figured that out things improved because I developed strategies to overcome that. I make fun of my mistakes all the time because they are really funny. I can resew the same seam three times, not notice stripes are in the wrong direction, etc. and never notice until later. Goofy, yes, laugh worthy, you bet.

Nothing is a failure if you learn from mistakes (in engineering this is called a good failure), share a giggle and a smile, eat some chocolate... Sometimes I see bark and not the tree. Not always a bad thing just differently challenged I guess.

Well said, Lab fairy. Life got much more pleasant when I learned to laugh at myself.