Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have any of you decided to just go gray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-any-you-decided-just-go-gray-t110451.html)

Meadow Vista 03-26-2011 01:51 PM

I decided at Thanksgiving to stop the four week torture of coloring my hair and it is about 2-1/2 inches grown out now. I had dark brown hair that I colored since I was 30 (now 55) and I thought it would be better to get a weave to allow for a smoother transition. I have had so many compliments as it is growing out (with the exception of my grown daughters and husband) and I think I am really going to like it. I know that I like not having to color!

karenm36 03-26-2011 01:58 PM

I'm 56 and my hair is salt and pepper. It looks really nice, IMHO! ;-) The key to any hair color really is a good hair cut. As long as you keep your hair well groomed and suited to your life style you can look classy regardless of your hair color. It may take a bit getting used to if you're used to coloring your hair but once it's all your own natural color I think you'll love it. (I used to color and highlight my hair and when I decided to quit I did get a shorter hair cut so that it wouldn't take so long to grow out the artificial color). It is very freeing!!! I feel more authentically me.

jdiane318 03-26-2011 01:59 PM

I used to highlight my hair blonde, it is a dark brown. About 5 years ago, as my gray came in to replace the blonde, I haven't had to do a thing but wash it and roll it on my hot rollers. My gray doesn't bother me, and that is a part of my uniqueness as a person.

FranCFries 03-26-2011 02:12 PM

I did hair for a long time. So I colored my hair for 20 years, my hair did not like to take color so it was on for an hour. Had to lift my color to get the color my DH liked. When he died I colored it one last time and then stoped (COLD TURKEY - I was 38 at the time). My hair went gray and as we KNOW gray hair doesn't take color well at all. My DH (#2), likes my hair the way it is. I think he likes it, because I have more gray than he does (and to think he is almost 70). Men have ALL the luck (they get US). :thumbup:

kjym 03-26-2011 02:18 PM

I started going grey at 28. I started dyeing my hair when I had it cut. well after 15 years of the hairdresser cutting dyeing and costing me almost $100. every 6 weeks I decided that I would rather spend that on quilt goodies. So I'm now 65 and my hair is snow white with a bit of dark around the nap. It doesn't bother me at all and it sure gives me lots of mad money to spend on quilting etc.
Also what is funny my husband is 73 and I have had more grey and white hair than he has for years and still do.
It doesn't bother me anymore. Give it a try and put the money you would spend in a "cookie jar" and see what you have saved. kjym Kathy

Beffy_Boo 03-26-2011 02:49 PM

My daughter's best friend is an amazing stylist and she dyed my hair a beautiful red. Everybody commented on how pretty it was and those who had never met me before thought it was natural. When I moved, no one here could duplicate it so I just stopped dying it. Heck, since I don't work outside the home, live several miles from town & the critters don't judge I only get my hair cut when I visit my daughter. :shock: My husband would like for me to pamper myself with visits to the hairstylist just for me. He loves the "silver threads among the gold" and I say I earned every one of those gray hairs. Besides, any time spent at the salon is less time crafting!

KLO 03-26-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl
Yes, and I love the freedom it gives me. If you wear the right earrings, you can look stunning.

Love this statement. Think I'll borrow it since I am not interested in taking the time or money to color my hair. Well, off to the store to buy some nice earrings!!!

kit'smamma 03-26-2011 03:22 PM

I had hair the envy of many of my contemporaries from teens on into middle age. Strictly wash and wear. Now it's slowly graying and I'm in my mid 70s. I hate the wirey texture but hair stylist says coloring won't change that. I'm too cheap to bother with it. After spending far too much time in the sun my skin is awful and my rosacea hasn't responded to treatment so what are a few gray hairs? I rarely bother with makeup but I'm very vain about my weight. Hence my life long membership in Weight Watchers.

JoanneS 03-26-2011 03:29 PM

I've stayed silver, not gray.

colwoods 03-26-2011 03:30 PM

I started turning gray in my thirties and now am completely silver. Everytime I think about color someone will say how they love my hair. I must say it is a pretty silver color. Many years ago someone asked my if I paid to have my hair done like that and I replied, "Oh, did I ever. Day in and day out."