Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have any of you decided to just go gray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-any-you-decided-just-go-gray-t110451.html)

Quiltbeagle 03-26-2011 11:01 AM

I still color my hair because gray just makes me look tired and older than my years. If I had beautiful silver hair like my DH I'd let it go natural, but I just have the boring kind of gray...sigh.

Grandma Peg 03-26-2011 11:22 AM

Quit coloring mine 4 years ago. Could never find a color that was me, either it came out red or blonde. Then doing it all the time bothered me. It doesn't bother me that I have salt and pepper, just highlighted right? HA!

memephyl 03-26-2011 11:24 AM

got streak in front in my 30's and I left that, but as I became grayer in late 40's on I colored because I was working.Once I retired I stopped because my hair grows fast and it seemed the roots were gray within a week so I decided to let become all gray. I know I would pass as years younger if I colored it, but it is too much work to keep it up.

jacie 03-26-2011 11:43 AM

I decided when I hit the golden year of 70 I would stop the haircoloring, prayed that I'd have my fathers beautiful white hair, God must have heard.. cause I have beautiful snow white hair. I have very fine hair, but keep it short and sexy looking... kids really like it this way.,. and so does hubby. after 6 years now I still like it alot. however, it was a real skunky season when I let it grow out., cause I had been using dark color as my natural was once. good thing I was out of my homne state for 6 months of winter, nobody at home saw how awful it looked.

my advice? hang in there, the money you save you can spend on really good make up, and jewelry.

jacie

nabobw 03-26-2011 12:01 PM

Gave it up years ago. My husband is Ok with it. I do not think it makes me look any older.

deb8746 03-26-2011 12:08 PM

Yes I had med brown for years and decided to put purple in it and I cut it very short and all of the color is out. loving it both no brown or purple
Debbie

Janetlmt 03-26-2011 12:30 PM

I have been coloring my hair for 15 years, maybe more. I have a lot of gray. I noticed the last time I had it colored it didn't stay as long. My gray is mixed with an awful brown. I hate it. I want so badly to let it go natural..but hate the transition period. I think I will keep coloring it until the time comes that I will have chemo. That will solve the problem...LOL>
Canukninepatch, your hair is beautiful..you are a very beautiful woman.
Peace and blessings,

raedar63 03-26-2011 12:32 PM

Yep I am looking kind of skunky at the moment lol, I am done with all the upkeep lol

Cassews 03-26-2011 12:32 PM

I started graying at 40 colored my hair for 5 years, and then decided I was tired of the mess at home if I did it or the expense if I had someone else do it. And it wasn't the auburn I knew I could do at home. It was always purple tinted when a hairdresser did it. So I stopped, cut it out every month hairdresser knew I would be coming by !LOL now its a streaked silver-grey with dark grey at the back of my head. My hairdresser now says so many women compliment her on my coloring and she tells them its her natural color !LOL AT 53 I think I have earned the grey LOL (besides it gets me a discount at some stores thinking I am over 65!LOL YES I tell them but they still give it to me)lol

Ann Simon 03-26-2011 12:42 PM

I think about going grey but it is scarey. How do you let it grow out and not look like a two tone job? I would really like to try it because I have so much grey now I put a blonde color on it.