Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have any of you decided to just go gray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-any-you-decided-just-go-gray-t110451.html)

martyquilter 03-26-2011 04:00 AM

I didn't read all the post so I am sure some of you have said the same thing... I colored my hair for over 20 years cause I started going gray early,... finally just had enough of it as my hair grows really fast.. my husband didnt like it at first but he can get over it... it is all gray now & I get so many compliments on it's color as it is an odd mixture of salt & pepper with a little brown thrown in there!!! The chemicals from the air dye made my hair really thin cause I had to do so often so now hve a thick head of hair again... guess it is up to the person but I love my gray hair

2manyprojects 03-26-2011 04:07 AM

yes, no more coloring...2 years ago after 4th grandchild was born, decided it was OK to sorta look like a granma! It is salt 'n pepper but longer and just decided this week it is going short too!

SS Muro 03-26-2011 04:10 AM

I have decided to go natural after years of having highlights in my hair. Too Too expensive. My hair is pepper and salt and I truly like the look. More money to spend on fabric and tools.

lovingmama 03-26-2011 04:12 AM

My hair is not grey, they are just natural high lights!

Mitch's mom 03-26-2011 04:22 AM

I did some internet searches to find out if there is anything you have to do differently for gray and white hair. There are a few good tips out there. The #1 thing I read over and over was DO NOT use high heat styling aids on your hair. It will make it turn yellow!
My stylist told me to buy Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo and conditioner to use once or twice a week. It cleans the yellow and other impurities (minerals from hard water, cigarette smoke, etc.) out of your hair and enhances the color. It does have Violet #2 in it, so if you use it every day you will have 'Blue Hair' - not a look I believe any of us are going for!

Speaking of blue hair; I read a post by a young girl who said she thinks the trend of short, gray hair on older women is the 2000's version of the curly blue perm of the 1900's! Brat.

Suzi 03-26-2011 04:26 AM

Have never colored my hair - always was told by my Mama to age gracefully when the time comes. I like it salt and pepper and keep it short and when I need a lift I spritz with gloss and MY-O-MY - do I ever sparkle. LOL

ssgramma 03-26-2011 04:30 AM

I went to beauty school after high school and my hair has been every color but black. I let it go natural in my early 40's to see if it would look frosted like my Mom's did. It didn't and at lunch with friends on my birthday I asked and they said DYE. So I was back on the train.

In 2002 we were talking about hitting the road fulltime in our RV and DH asked if I was going to take all that long blonde hair on the road. So I spent the winter putting some brown rinse on it until it was grown out enough for the short spiky look.

I am so liberated after a lifetime of roots showing!

Color me salt-n-peppa and loving it.

merchjag 03-26-2011 04:31 AM

I started going grey about 50 and it just made me look tired,so I get it colored. However payng out $90.00 every 8 weeks is starting to kill me now that my dh is retired. I think I might try to go grey-see how much I have and be the granny. :XD:

triplerosa 03-26-2011 04:31 AM

I started going grey at 21, colored for years at 50 let the greys in and now at 59 I am now all white hair I love it and get compliments. I feel I earned this white hair and wear it like it was a privilege to have earned it.

Aurora 03-26-2011 04:32 AM

I have earned every single gray hair on my head -- granted, some were more fun than others to earn. But I have very vivid memories of most of them. Life is to be lived and relished enthusiastically.