Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   have you stayed with your child when they had their first child (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/have-you-stayed-your-child-when-they-had-their-first-child-t125485.html)

RkayD 05-24-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
I wouldhave loved to have had my mom around when I hadmy kids. I would just offerthen seewhat they say.

Me too...I did have my gram a while. But there's nothing like mom and that bonding. I can't wait to be a Nana...but I'm not in that big of hurry... =)

bkb 05-24-2011 03:15 PM

I was informed by daddy his mom was coming to help out for a week or two, haven't asked dd her opinion yet!

Sandee 05-24-2011 03:19 PM

I would let them know that you're available to help and then let them decide what they want to do.

dsb38327 05-24-2011 03:21 PM

I have only one daughter. She has two children now. I have been blessed to witness the birth of each of my grandchildren and am bonded with both. When the first one was born my daughter and son-in-law wanted some time to learn how to care for a newborn without anyone watching and correcting them. They were and are both excellent parents. I was welcome to visit and get all the cuddling I wanted. I stayed long enough to tidy the house and such then I would go home and give them their privacy back. When my daughter needed sleep she called me to say so. When she went back to work I took all my vacation and spent each day with my granddaughter. When they came home from work I went home for the night. I have also been able to help with the 2nd grandchild. He is such a sweetie. They would have loved to have help from the other grandparents but it just wasn't an option. One set lives 10 hours away and another set has medical issues which prevents their helping.
What is the translation? Ask. Be prepared for the 'honesty' a pregnant female or new Mother is likely to give. Honor their wishes as much as you can. If you know your daughter is sleep deprived you might want to 'drop in' and let her get some good sleep. The lack of sufficient sleep seems to be the biggest challenge for the parents of a newborn. When you haven't slept in days you don't care if your saviour is your Mother or your Mother-in-law.
Good luck to each of you. Grandchildren are such a joy.

charity-crafter 05-24-2011 03:21 PM

My MIL told me when we got married that she planned to come stay with us for 6 months to a year when we had our baby.

I tell you what, that was the best form of birth control ever! We never got around to having children.

I mentioned to my mother what MIL had said, and my mom said "I raised my kids, Don't be expecting me to take care of yours." Well, ok then. Thanks. I hadn't even asked her and wasn't even pregnant.

Best thing is to just talk to them, ask them what they want. If you do go stay with them for a bit, if it starts to be uncomfortable you know it's time to go home.

great aunt jacqui 05-24-2011 03:22 PM

both my neices wanted their mom to come. she stayed a month
with the oldest( the new dad was doing chemo everyday )and DD had C sec. She was very welcomed by both of them. The youngest also in MD wanted the same but because she was far away she did 2weeks.

ljptexas 05-24-2011 03:23 PM

When my daughter was due. I went to Tennessee & ended up staying about 6 wks. So before the due date off I go. She went over... Then when the 2nd boy was born I went & took my Mom for several wks. You won't regret going & it'll be a sweet memory...... My SIL parents lived 45 min from them & I was the one who spent the most time....

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Annaquilts 05-24-2011 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
My MIL told me when we got married that she planned to come stay with us for 6 months to a year when we had our baby.

I tell you what, that was the best form of birth control ever! We never got around to having children.

ROFL

:P :-P

Annaquilts 05-24-2011 03:38 PM

I would have loved any help but it seemed the only thing I got was people coming at all hours that wanted to help only with the baby and tell me what to do. So please be sensative to that and truely help where help is wanted and needed.

Charlee 05-24-2011 03:42 PM

Offer to help, and if accepted, keep in mind that SHE is the baby's mother...ask her before you do anything with the baby! Don't offer advice unless they ask, and don't get inbetween Mom and Dad when they have a difference of opinion regarding the baby. (or anything else! ;) )

I'd have loved to have been there when my grands were born...