Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Help on mattress decison (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/help-mattress-decison-t266335.html)

mimiquilter 06-13-2015 04:46 AM

Help on mattress decison

We're thinking of "investing" in a Tempurpedic mattress. Because I know the cost is high, I don't want to invest in something we may regret. How about some feedback from this group about your experience and/or knowledge of the brand....it will be greatly appreciated.

Misty's Mom 06-13-2015 05:13 AM

We have had our tempurpedic mattress for about 6-7 years now and love it. Have had no trouble with it at all. We got the adjustable base with split king since DH has sleep apnea and uses a bipap and has to have his head elevated. I can't sleep that way, but love to be able to read in bed with my side up even if he wants to sleep. A great investment.

Billi 06-13-2015 05:23 AM

Love Love Love ours we have the same base as Misty's mom and its wonderful. we got it about 4 years ago and think that its well worth the investment. As a side not my sil has one too after about 7 years they noticed it sagging one phone call and less than a week later they had a new mattress delivered no fuss no muss.

Geri B 06-13-2015 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 7225221)
We have had our tempurpedic mattress for about 6-7 years now and love it. Have had no trouble with it at all. We got the adjustable base with split king since DH has sleep apnea and uses a bipap and has to have his head elevated. I can't sleep that way, but love to be able to read in bed with my side up even if he wants to sleep. A great investment.

What kind of linens do you use for that bed?

Misty's Mom 06-13-2015 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7225271)
What kind of linens do you use for that bed?

i get sheet sets that are called split king. It's a kingsize top sheet and 2 extra long fitted twin sheets.

Prism99 06-13-2015 09:43 AM

Are you looking for the mattress only? Or for the mechanics of the bed?

If you are considering the mattress only, my advice is to check out Sam's Club and similar places for a good quality memory foam mattress topper. A couple of years ago my husband started having back issues with our mattress. I talked him into trying a king-sized mattress topper made out of memory foam, probably similar to this one:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-press....ip?navAction= . We are still using it! Recently my brother wanted my help to buy a new mattress. I talked him into trying the memory foam topper first, and it worked for him also. If you don't like the memory foam topper, I would expect you wouldn't like a Tempurpedic mattress either. If you do like the topper, you may not need the mattress.

Edit: Check the store's return policy if you purchase the mattress topper. I know that I was able to return a memory foam pillow to Sam's Club. If you don't like the mattress topper, you may be able to return it.

quiltingcandy 06-13-2015 09:52 AM

Also, be sure to get the one that has the cooling part to it. My husband sleeps HOT and cannot use the Tempurpedic. I had several clients have to return them when I was handling claims and the doctors felt the injured worker would benefit from one. And when we were looking for a new mattress the salesman said he had customers return them for the same reason. I understand there are new ones that have a "cooling jell".

Prism99 06-13-2015 09:59 AM

Some of the mattress toppers have that "cooling" side too. I know the one we bought for my brother has it (which reminds me to call him to flip it). Not sure ours has it.

dunster 06-13-2015 01:21 PM

I have a Tempurpedic mattress, used it for 10 years in Oregon and hope that it will still be comfortable now that I'm in SoCal. My son and his wife had one in SoCal but thought it was too hot. I've used a topper, but its comfort depends very much on the quality and comfort of the mattress beneath it. There are also other brands of memory foam mattresses, usually less expensive, worth looking at.

Stitchnripper 06-13-2015 01:52 PM

My son got one of those that Misty's Mom mentioned, but he got it from QVC which turned out to be cheaper, had easy pay, and a better return policy. But, they love it and aren't returning it.