Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hepatitis C and Liver Support (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hepatitis-c-liver-support-t42991.html)

alaskasunshine 04-25-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by marsye

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Like Alaskasunshine said, I have heard that dandelion greens are great for your liver. And they are really good right now....I like them fresh in salad or cooked like a green, even sauted in olive oil. Try to pick the samll ones. I am Praying for you!!!!

Thanks! :D

Oh No, I didn't mean Dandilion leaves I meant Dandilion capsuels. I have never thought of eating them. Aren't they bitter?

alaskasunshine 04-25-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B

Originally Posted by SUSAN
I have a fatty liver also. Go to the medical hobby shop on base. Aslo go to my 'gut doc'. He said I need to quit drinking alcohol for at least a month. Thats hard to do. I take 4 prilosec a day for ulcers and reflux. Plus anti depressants and high blood pressure, allergies, and cholesterol.

If you have Hep C, drinking is like signing your death warrant. Alcohol is at the top of the list of NO! NO! NO!s, including mouthwash, toothpaste, or anything else that might have trace amounts of alcohol in it!!!

BRILLIANTLY said!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

AnnaK 04-27-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
I highly agree using MILK THISTLE is crucial for HEP C patients! It is great stuff! also try dandilion, and drink black licorice tea. But if you have high blood pressure watch the licorice because it can elevate your BP

Stay away from fried food and lose weight if you are overweight! A fat body is a fat liver! Such a bummer. Exercise is also important.
hugs,
alaskasunshine :D

I'm glad you mentioned the Milk Thistle. It has been a big help to me and I have not read of any side effects. I have read that the ancient Greeks used it for liver problems! Of course, one should check with the doctor to make sure it will be okay to take it. My doctor said he didn't think it would help but it wouldn't hurt. He was surprised when my liver enzymes came down. I believe it was the MT but he wasn't convinced.

CarrieAnne 04-28-2010 04:01 AM

Alaskesunshine, if you pick the dandelion leaves small, before they flower, they taste alot like spinach, picked later, they do get bitter. Kind of an aquired taste...my kids love them!

Janetlmt 04-28-2010 07:55 AM

What is the treatment for Hc? Last week I visited a lady that I went to high school with..haven't seen her in 35 years. She told me she has Hc. I have BC..and she wanted to know if I was taking Chemo. I am not I told her. She then told me that she gave herself chemo treatments at home for Hc...duh..I didn't get off the turnip truck yesterday. I know what is involved with chemo..and you can't do that at home. Gezzz..what is wrong with this woman...must be having a brainfart.
You know..it is so hard to know what is good and what is bad. I guess what works for others doesn't for all. I am facinated about natural foods and supplements. I will keep reading this post. Prayers to all who are battling Hc.

Quilter2B 04-28-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
What is the treatment for Hc? She then told me that she gave herself chemo treatments at home for Hc....

It is possible that this is how her Dr. described it. Interferons can be used for a number of conditions. We had a friend (77 yrs old) who recently passed from Melanoma - he refused to take the injections. We also have a friend who has MS that takes interferon injections. Here is a link that might help you understand a little more about it. For HepC Drs combine the interferon treatment with a drug called Ribaviron - this seems to be more toxic than just the Interferon alone but in conjunction there is a greater remission rate.

http://www.medicinenet.com/interferon/article.htm

Alu_Rathbone 04-28-2010 12:25 PM

My ex boyfriend has Hep C. He told me about three to four weeks after we started dating... I broke up with him two weeks later. BUT not because of his disease... it was because I viewed him more like a friend and every time we would try to kiss it was like kissing a sibling...

We are still friends though... so thats good.