Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you take it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-take-t268399.html)

my-ty 08-06-2015 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by regm (Post 7277959)
How about when they never acknowledge it or thank you. My niece had a baby girl in May and I vowed not to make or give her anything because she never thanked me for the two times I sent something for her son. But then I feel , it's important to me that I make something and give it so I feel good about it. Her bad manners shouldn't prevent me from doing what I thing is right.

I have reached the same conclusion. I do what I feel is right and important to me. I remind myself it is a gift and belongs to the recipient not me.

alleyoop1 08-06-2015 05:52 AM

Besides baby quilts, have only made large, bed size quilts for my children and they all seem to love them. Youngest daughter even has 2! One on her bed and one on the back of her living room chair.

Kitsie 08-06-2015 07:11 AM

And I'm sure that many other wonderful crafted gifts receive the same response - woodwork, painting, pottery, etc.
It is true, too (sadly for us quilters) that not everyone likes these gifts!
Oh well, we can and do appreciate each others quilts!

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7278220)
People who don't quilt have no idea the amount of time and work and expense that goes into making a quilt. I think sometimes it is not that they don't appreciate it, they just don't understand.

AZ Jane 08-06-2015 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess I am different, I make what I want them to have. If they don't love it, no big deal. Except. except, except = I made by daughter the Scrappy Burgoyne Surround but I never saw it when we went over. I was getting a little miffed, don't know why, I usually don't. So I asked her, it was in the closet, she was hiding it every time she knew I was coming over. The dog has chewed a hole in it!! I made her pull it out so I could fix it before I had used all the fabrics that were in the quilt. Mission accomplished!!

earthwalker 08-06-2015 07:24 AM

I kind of assess the recipient first....you can usually pick who will appreciate handcrafted items. So far I've been accurate and my gifts seem well received. Have to almost sit on my husband sometimes though! Quite often when I have just handed over the quilt or item he will say....look at the stitches....she did this by hand....do you know how many hours that took....sweet, but exasperating.

donnajean 08-06-2015 07:27 AM

I don't think I would ever make a King size quilt for anyone, including myself.

zozee 08-06-2015 07:32 AM

I kind of know in my family who would or wouldn't appreciate a quilt. I made my first wall hanging for my mom who promptly put it away in her closet because it was "too nice" to keep out. Huh??.? Major hurt. The kids gave her a latch hook wall hanging and told her as much. She said it would feel so good to scratch her diabetic feet on. Ouch in my heart. Trying to respond graciously when a handmade gift is not received as I want is very hard. I just only make things for people who understand this particular expression of love. For others, I can't make them love handmade stuff . The best gift is thinking what THEY want. After all, I couldn't appreciate Super Bowl tickets. I'd rather have the amount of a ticket in a fabric store gift card, but if I were given it by a football fan, I'd try to accept graciously. That's hard too, especially if I think the giver should know me better.

zozee 08-06-2015 07:34 AM

[

gorgeous quilt and I can see why your DD was afraid to show you what the dog had done!

QUOTE=AZ Jane;7278744]I guess I am different, I make what I want them to have. If they don't love it, no big deal. Except. except, except = I made by daughter the Scrappy Burgoyne Surround but I never saw it when we went over. I was getting a little miffed, don't know why, I usually don't. So I asked her, it was in the closet, she was hiding it every time she knew I was coming over. The dog has chewed a hole in it!! I made her pull it out so I could fix it before I had used all the fabrics that were in the quilt. Mission accomplished!![/QUOTE]

Angellight 08-06-2015 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7278220)
People who don't quilt have no idea the amount of time and work and expense that goes into making a quilt. I think sometimes it is not that they don't appreciate it, they just don't understand.

My story has an exception:
A good friend of mine who quilts has a child who requests quilts from her mother. This child did know the time and expense involved, because my friend was VERY good at making sure everyone knew how much she spent on things. I was recovering from foot surgery and decided to make a very cute "bear" quilt for the first child. It was made in pastels since she had not found out the sex of the child that turned out to be a boy. I was at her house one day, and she did indeed use my quilt on the floor for a "play mat". Of course they had 3 big dogs who were all over it too. The next time this person had a baby she got a simple fleece blanket and some clothes.
I truly believe that I have no say in how it is used after I give it, BUT it is hard not to take it personally when you see things used by the animals in the house by someone who knows the time and cost put into something like this.

Happy quilting.
Susan

crafty pat 08-06-2015 11:00 AM

I never make a quilt for anyone who has not ask for one or said they would love to have one.