Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How does Prednisone affect you?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-does-prednisone-affect-you-t93373.html)

thequiltmama 01-24-2011 03:49 AM

Hello everyone on this very chilly January day. I have started taking Prednisone again for the second time and I was wondering how it affects other people? It makes me really tired, really really tired all the time. And I have acid reflux so I have to take that about an hour or so before I take the prednisone. So.....what are your side affects.
OH, and I get really bad bad headaches while I am being weaned off of it too.
:? :? :? :? :?

Carrie Jo 01-24-2011 03:56 AM

I have been on Prednisone for almost a year now due to a autoimmune diease that I have. I have gained almost 40 lbs. Iam hungry all the time 20mins after I eat Iam ready again. Iam so thankful for a understanding husband. I dont know that I am tired all the time but i can say I am not overly ambitious. Sorry you have to take this yuck medication but hopefully it helps you and you can get off it soon.

candlequilter 01-24-2011 03:56 AM

I absolutely hate taking Prednisone it makes me so irritable that I can hardly stand myself let alone anyone else. I would say almost suicidal - but not quite thank God. Plus I gain weight big time from it even tho it is suppose to reduce swelling of glands, and etc.

Sherryl
Candlequilter

thequiltmama 01-24-2011 04:07 AM

I see that I am not the only one to gain weight from it.....I only took it for 15 days last time and I gained 10 pounds. My husband thinks I am lying, but no a woman never lies about the gaining of weight. :-)

Originally Posted by candlequilter
I absolutely hate taking Prednisone it makes me so irritable that I can hardly stand myself let alone anyone else. I would say almost suicidal - but not quite thank God. Plus I gain weight big time from it even tho it is suppose to reduce swelling of glands, and etc.

Sherryl
Candlequilter

knlsmith 01-24-2011 04:39 AM

Makes me cranky n super hungry! I'm already both of those! LOL. Throw in a splash of PMS and LOOK OUT. :)

ptquilts 01-24-2011 04:39 AM

DH took it and LOST weight, although his mom was on it and ate everything in sight. If you are going to be on it long term I think you need one of those meds to protect your bones, like Boniva. Talk to your doctor. Also, it will make your blood sugar go up.

thequiltmama 01-24-2011 04:53 AM

I am not too worried about the blood sugar because it seems like mine runs low anyway. I think ???
And only a man can lose weight on a med that makes you gain weight...men :-)

Hosta 01-24-2011 05:13 AM

I have been on and off Prednisone for two years even got steroid shots in my back I have gained 60 pounds my back is worse from the weight gain, It feels good while I am on them but as soon as they are done it hurts again

thequiltmama 01-24-2011 05:28 AM

That sucks.... I hope you find something that works better. Mine is for my "tarsal tunnel syndrome" in both feet.

Originally Posted by Hosta
I have been on and off Prednisone for two years even got steroid shots in my back I have gained 60 pounds my back is worse from the weight gain, It feels good while I am on them but as soon as they are done it hurts again

raedar63 01-24-2011 07:19 AM

Mean,mean,mean......