Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to make the best of it... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-make-best-t88004.html)

Pommom 01-05-2011 08:58 PM

I need help!! I have a craft / sewing room that I made out of my son's bedroom when he moved out a couple of years ago. It has a nice walk in closet that I have now filled with scrapbooking stash; painting supplies, etc., etc. You name it! I have a nice craft table (that doubles as my sewing table) in the room and more cubicle shelving. My fabric stash is in plastic bins.

Well........my son has been having financial difficulties and after discussion, we have decided that he should move back in! There goes my craft room! Even though the house is spacious, we have no other empty areas in the house!

Please give me suggestions on what to do with my stuff!! Do I put things in the walk in attic (not temperature controlled)? What do I do with my craft table???

I am a quilting newbie but am thoroughly enjoying it and talking to all of you!! (and really enjoy seeing pictures of your sewing rooms!)

Help!!! :-( :-(

sewwhat85 01-05-2011 09:02 PM

so sorry hope things turn for the better with your son

Pommom 01-05-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
so sorry hope things turn for the better with your son

Thank you! And I saw the pictures of your beautiful sewing room. Congratulations! Would love to come drink coffee with you there!

Up North 01-05-2011 09:17 PM

Do you have a guest room? have him stay there if not there is always the sofa!!

Grammy o'5 01-05-2011 09:22 PM

Sorry your son is having a bad time. :(
I don't have many suggestions, but does your craft table have folding legs? That might make it easier to find a place for it.
There may be other things that can move to your attic space that would free up a space for your sewing & crafting supplies.
Good luck with everything. :lol: :thumbup:

Texasjunebug 01-05-2011 09:24 PM

I agree with Up North. The perfect place for Son is the couch. Evidently he is of mature age to have lived on his own for two years. It would also be the needed constant reminder that he needs to make further education or better job hunting a priority in his life. In the meantime, the sewing room stays where it is, and used regularly! You'll be doing him the ultimate favor of love. In my opinion, of course. You must love him very much and want to help in any way you possibly can. I would too; being a parent, I totally understand.

akgranny 01-05-2011 09:31 PM

i agree with up north and texusjunebug ...... tell him you're making him a quilt to take with him when he goes again.

CarrieAnne 01-05-2011 09:35 PM

Sorry he is having a hard time. So hard for lots of people. My DS was going to move in with some friends too. He has a great job andis a great kid, but NOW his truck is breaking down ALOT. Needs a diffrent one, I am affraid, so I dont think he will be moving out right away.

quiltstodo 01-05-2011 09:38 PM

Well what I have done since our granddaughter has been living with us is use the dining room. I have a drop leaf table I use for sewing with the leaf on one side up and when we use the dining room I put the machine under it and put a long table so no one knows it's even there. My fabric is in baskets under that same table and in the drawers of our linen closet. I use the dining room table for cutting. I just make sure I have a table pad on it before I put the cutting mat there. Most of the time when it's just the three of us my sewing is out. We only have a two bedroom so thread and stuff like that is in decorative bins and blended in with books on the bookshelves and I keep an empty wicker basket to put sewing in when there's company.

ssnare 01-05-2011 09:42 PM

Do you have a basement?